HELP PLEASE: Mac Book Pro and Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jadown, Jul 20, 2008.

1. jadown macrumors newbie

I just bought a Mac Book Pro a month ago and Mbox 2 Factory last week. I do not want to install all the virtual instruments to my local drive I want to install them on a external drive. Well at least the instruments libraries. How can I have Pro Tools read from the external drive? Or is this possible? In addition does anyone know where I can download some virtual instruments from to test my Pro Tools? Please help because I am new to Macs and Pro Tools.

Thanks

2. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

when you open the installer, click custom install and it should allow you to determine where you install things.

On the virtual instruments front.

Just look around product websites for free demos or

visit www.kvraudio.com
    for lots of free virtual instruments not all of them are great but its a good place to start. You are looking for rtas as well. not vst or au or even tdm (but this is pointless as you need hardware to support it).

3. jadown thread starter macrumors newbie

One quick question again

So how can I get Pro Tools to look at the folder on the external drive to show the lists of plug-ins if I load them on an external drive? So is it wise to load my plug-ins such as Waves Diamond to the external drive to? Or should I load just sound libraries for the virtual instruments?

Thanks again.

4. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

PLugins can only stay in their default folders. Just sampler/VI files can be placed externally. It should usually ask you where you want to install the library files when you're first installing the plugins.
    VI's should also have a preferences section where you can select the folder in question just in case it fails to load the files the first time round.