Help please, Mac OS Tiger X 10.4 won't install on my macpro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mmesarina, Oct 21, 2007.

1. mmesarina macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a macpro from B&H about 6 months ago and they never sent me the MacOS Disks with the computer. I forgot all about it, and now I have the need to reinstall the OS. So I bought a Tiger OS 10.4 disks, brand new, but when I start the computer with the disk, a window tells me that "Mac OS 10.4 can't be installed in this computer".
    I have read something about that the OS that comes with a computer is not the same as the OS sold on stores. And that I should use the DVD that came with my computer. So am I stranded here?
    I will try to get the disks from B&H , but I am not sure this will be successful.
    It seems to me that it should be completely possible to load a new OS on the system but how?

And on another topic:
    Do you guys think that the Leopard OS will work on the macpro g3 500 Mhz dual core? If that is so, maybe I should just wait until Leopard comes out

Any suggestions?

thanks

-Malena

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The discs you bought were more then likely the PowerPC 10.4.6 installer discs.

You have to get the machine specific discs for Tiger. Leopard will resolve this issue.

You mean a Power Mac G4 Dual 500 MHz, right?

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

You need the original system disks. Tiger for Intel was never released in a retail package.

What the heck is a macpro g3 500MHZ dual core, anyway? It sounds like three machines welded together.

4. mmesarina thread starter macrumors newbie

thank yoyu

Yes, I meant G4. I will buy Leopard then.

-Malena

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Leopard's system requirements are a bit higher than your rig. Don't expect all the fancy stuff to work like it does on the newer machines.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Leopard won't run on your computer without a bit of hacking around.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's the fun part. ;)

8. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

This thread is just messed up due to misinformation from the original poster. I don't think I even know where to start.

Okay, back to the original thread, when you said you bought a MacPro from B&H, were you referring to the same MacPro, which is actually a Power Mac G4 500Mhz? If you are, then Tiger (MacOS 10.4.x) should work on it.