help please - macbook fan dead

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by radicaldog, Oct 31, 2010.

1. radicaldog macrumors member

The cooling fan, that is. It had been making a noise for a few months. Today I suddenly noticed a big drop in speed even for basic tasks such as scrolling down browser window. I realised the fan was silent, so I checked with Istat, and the fan was at 0 rpm. I immediately switched off the machine. A very faint smell of burn plastic is perceptible if one sniffs my MacBook. My questions:

- The MB was active without a working fan for 5-10 mins at the most. What are the odds that I cooked some crucial part?

- If I did cook some crucial part, could a technician tell when s/he opens the MB to change the fan?

- How much should I expect to pay (in the UK) for replacing the fan?

I'm trying to figure out whether I should get a new MBP 13''. I was hoping to hold back until the next refresh, as the hardware on the current version isn't that different from what I have in my 2007 MB. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You shouldn't have cooked anything since the computer will automatically shut down once the temperature gets too high. So I wouldn't worry about that.

In terms of price, do some looking around on eBay. That should give you a good guesstimate on price.

3. happle macrumors 6502a

did u happen to see the temp of ur cpu? and everything should be fine, macbooks are meant to turn off if they get to hot. my guess is your smelling the cooked fan motor and not anything that burnt from getting to hot.

fan should be cheap and easy to replace. you could probably do it yourself. but do some research first. google is your friend.