Help Please! MBP RAM installed and now it won't start.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cinecals, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cinecals macrumors newbie

I just installed 4 gigs of ram and did it properly. I've done it before on my ibook with no problems. I went to turn on the MBP and it won't start up but the cpu is clearly running. The sleep light keeps blinking twice and nothing happens. I tried doing the install all over again and same result. Please help, any advice is welcome.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

perhaps you have a bad stick of ram, try removing the sticks and try them out one by one to see if it is one stick in particular.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Try the RAM modules one at a time it's unusual (but not impossible) for both modules of a pair to be defective. Make sure the RAM is fully seated in the contacts before laying it down to the horizontal position. Your symptoms are still consistent with incomplete installation. What brand of RAM / what specs?

4. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick replies... I'm using Kingston RAM 2x2 G sticks, pc2-5300. I will try each stick and try to isolate the problem.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Which Kingston, specifically? KTA-MB667/2G or KVR- ValueRAM? If KVR, do they have the heat spreaders?

6. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

its the value ram and it doesn't have heat spreaders. Is it possible it isn't seated properly. It felt like it went in snuggly but maybe I didn't push hard enough?

7. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

It boots but now I get a kernel panic on startup

Tried reseating the ram, I think that was the problem. It started up (twice?) and then immediately kernel panics. I'm not sure if I made progress or it just got worse?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you tried testing one chip at a time as i sounds like there is a problem. Does it happen if you put the original ram back in.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    What exactly does the flashing light mean? Not seated right or bad ram? :confused:

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    For the record, it turned out that the RAM just wasn't pushed into the harness/socket far enough, so in this case the flashing light denotes that the RAM wasn't seated correctly.

Hopefully this will help somebody in the future... :)

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Glad you got it fixed, but man you're lucky you didn't ruin any ram slots if you had to push it in that hard.