Help please - Missing Icons

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigkecks, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bigkecks macrumors newbie

Can anyone possibly help - I'm running Mac OS 10.4.11 and recently almost all of my my folder icons have disappeared. On the desktop I can still see the icons for the HD, an external HD and for various document formats (pdf, doc, xls). However, my iDisk icon has turned into a generic "mounted drive" icon and all of the folder icons have disappeared. The text is still visible of the folder name.

In the finder, the same is true and whilst all the files are still there, their icons are not (see picture).

Overall the computer is running significantly slower than usual with the beachball of doom appearing often. I've repaired permissions and restarted by way of course, any suggestions please?

Thanks

P.S. The mds-crash-state file is new I think, but having read the threads relating to that, do not feel I am any further forward.

Attached Files:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try deleting everything in the Cache folder in the main and user Library and then rebooting.

3. bigkecks thread starter macrumors newbie

STill no joy

Thanks but sadly, has made no difference. ALthough have been unable to delete about ten cache files as "still in use". These include: acrobat, com.apple.ATS, com.apple.IntlDataCache.sbdl.501, com.apple.IntlDataCache.sbdl.92 and com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore.

ANy further suggestions most welcome.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try dragging com.apple.finder.plist in home/Library/Preferences to the desktop and then relaunching Finder by option right-clicking on its Dock icon.

if this doesnt work drag the plist back and relaunch Finder again to get your settings back.

5. bigkecks thread starter macrumors newbie

No such file

Rich, sadly there is no such file in the preferences folder - could that be the problem?

6. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

reset pram

restart computer, hold down option-apple-p-r until you hear your mac chime 4 times

this should take care of it.

when computer starts up, goto disk utility and repair permissions.

--Eric

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

check your user Library in your home folder not the main Library in the root of Macintosh HD. should be there otherwise you wouldnt be able to save any settings in Finder's preferences.

dont think that would fix it. heres is whats stored in the PRAM. i could be wrong though.

8. bigkecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no joy

Have reset PRAM and have also relaunched the finder having found and moved com.apple.finder.plist where you suggested. STill same icons missing on desktop and in finder windows.

ANy other suggestions most welcome

Thanks