Help please! missing part! and no idea where to get it!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by meme2203, Jun 21, 2010.

  1. meme2203 macrumors newbie

    Jun 21, 2010
    I have had an G5 mac (not a laptop) for about 5/6 years now. When i bought it i also got with it a Formac monitor. I moved house around 6 months ago and accidentally threw out one of the parts thinking it wasn't to do with the computer. STUPID!
    What i threw out and what i am missing is from the back of the cable leading from the Formac monitor to the back of my G5.

    I think it is something called a ADC Cable (although this one is fitted into the back of the monitor rather than being free both ends)

    It splits into 3 parts after leaving the monitor, one is DVI video, one is USB and the other is for External power to drive it (kind of looks like a Female tv ariel input)

    Thats the part i have lost. What ever bit plugs into the External power, female tv ariel looking thing, goes into a sort of box, thingy and then back out as a normal plug to go into the wall.

    I have called about a million places and NOWON knows what it is or can help me, they just keep passing me on to the next number the suggest might help!

    Can you help me?? i haven't been able to use my comp for 6 month now and have been working solely from my partners laptop.

    any help or advise or numbers would be very appreciated!!

  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

    Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Ok, so from your description you threw away the DC power brick--that's the thing that would go between the power connector and the wall.

    You've got two choices: Buy one off somebody on eBay who has a dead Formac monitor with a working power brick, or figure out the power requirements of the monitor and kind of connector, then find an equivalent generic power brick and use that.

    For eBay, just search for "Formac", maybe your model number, and "power" or something like that, and hope for the best.

    For DIY: Figuring out the power should be relatively easy; either on the back of the monitor itself or in the documentation there should be a power requirement listed somewhere. Probably something on the order of "24V, 3A DC" or in that range. Finding a similarly-specced power brick shouldn't be hard. The hard part is getting it to attach--I'm guessing, though I've never used one of those, that it's going to be a brick with something that the cable plugs into, rather than the norm which is a brick with an attached cable that plugs into the device.

    If you have a little experience with wiring you could probably splice your replacement brick's cable to the Formac's cable, or (unlikely) find an adapter, but this might be a good time to enlist the help of an electrically-savvy friend.
  3. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    Sounds actually like an ADC to DVI adaptor, for connecting an ADC display to a DVI-equipped G5 (or other computer).

    Here’s a link to Apple’s (probably the one you had, though Formac may have made one too):

    Best price I found:

    Unless that’s a really nice monitor, you’ll get a better deal just going and getting a new monitor, you can pick up something nice for only a little more than that.


Share This Page