HELP PLEASE! My mouse stopped moving the cursor

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Last night my mouse was working fine. Now it will click and scroll but it wont move the cursor. Its a bluetooth mouse that came with my iMac. Any idea how to fix this?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
First steps are always...

1. Turn Bluetooth off/on and re-pair the device
2. Turn off the mouse and turn it back on
3. Restart the computer

You didn't say what you have tried, so that would be my first thoughts

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I tried those three suggestions. The problem is the same. It moves a little when I move it on a dvd case or a magazine but not at all on my mouse pad. Do you think its an issue with the sensor? Is there a proper way to clean it or something?

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I tried those three suggestions. The problem is the same. It moves a little when I move it on a dvd case or a magazine but not at all on my mouse pad. Do you think its an issue with the sensor? Is there a proper way to clean it or something?
If you have already tried all of that, then yes, I guess it is possible that perhaps the sensor is dirty. Try a little compressed air onto the laser on the bottom. If all else fails, an apple genius might be able to help at the store.

timiscute

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I recharged my batteries and still no good. I'll try air blasting it tomorrow and let you know if it works. It's strange to me that it works fine on a video game case but won't move at all on the mouse pad. Seems to me that that shows the batteries are NOT the problem....

~Tim

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Sounds like there's dust on the lenses. Remove the battery cover and, preferably using a an air bower (the kind used for removing dust from cameras) blow out any dust that has collected from around and on the lenses. You may also need something like a Q-tip to thoroughly clean the lenses. Don't use compressed air - it can do more harm than good by depositing a liquid coating!