Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordSinrath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So, I had my 2011 MacBook Air outside in 35 degree weather taking time-lapse photos. I took it in, and water droplets had condensed on its case (I have a plastic iPearl cover on it). The keys would not work (except for the power one) and I could not click the trackpad. The rest of the computer seemed to be fine. So, I shut it down by holding the power button.

What should I do now?

If in the end I can't fix it myself, how much do you think repairs would cost? (I guess I'm past warranty.)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I'm surprised there was enough condensation on the INSIDE of the case to cause this issue, but you should probably handle it like any water damage. Keep it turned OFF and let it dry out. Probably best to put it in a sealed container with rice to draw out the moisture. Leave it in there for a couple of days and hope for the best. You could also try taking the bottom case off to allow the inside to dry faster - just don't put the open side down on the rice...

It would seem like this would be a minimal amount of water, so you may be lucky after a few days.

If that doesn't work, you can take it in to the Apple store and explain the situation to them and see what they say. They will be able to tell if you have water damage so just explain what happened. Water repairs are never covered by the warranty, and usually the repair costs are outrageous.

You won't know though, until you take it in to them.

LordSinrath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks!

Thanks so much! I truly hope it is ok.

One more thing--if it does work after a few days, do I have anything to fear about "hidden" damage? Ie, are problems likely to pop up in the long run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.