Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Hello,
I am extremely new to the Mac World and I recently got a used Power PC G5 with a 1.9 GHz; 1GB DD2 SDRAM (if that means anything). Additionally, I picked up a Western Digital 750 GB external HD which had been used with a PC XP configuration.
My Mac OSX (Ver. 10.4.11) won't read the Western Digital (WD); so I'm trying to "reformat" it to accept Mac video for editing purposes (storing completed iMovie projects right now and raw video footage); I ran across these options in the Utility; "Mirror Raid"; "Striped Raid" or "Concatenated Disk Set". Which should I chose and what can I do to install this WD to fit my needs? Can anyone out there help me or direct me to some help? Thanks,
Larry
If anyone has ANY answers (before I click and screw up my external HD or my MAC--PLEASE e-mail me at "mail_larrym1@yahoo.com". I will be most appreciative. Take care.

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
I ran across these options in the Utility; "Mirror Raid"; "Striped Raid" or "Concatenated Disk Set". Which should I chose

None. These are RAID options, which you don't want from your description. You simply want to reformat it to 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' and you should be set.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If anyone has ANY answers (before I click and screw up my external HD or my MAC--PLEASE e-mail me at "mail_larrym1@yahoo.com". I will be most appreciative. Take care.

(1) There is no way you can damage the disk. Anything you can do with Disk Utility can be un-done with Disk Utility. Disk Utility can erase data from a disk but it can'r hard the drive itself

(2) Don't ask for e-mail replies, no one later doing a search will be able to find the answer as it won't be here.

Now the answer. Just format the drive a HFS+ Journaled. That's it. You don't need any of those raid options and yu cn't use them with just a single drive. Raid is a way to combine multiple drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.