Help Please. Networking 2 computers through internet connection question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by amberashby, Apr 29, 2012.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

Hi all.

It seems like there is a simple solution to this but I've been doing a lot of searching and can't seem to come up with it.

All I'd like to do is set up a shared folder that a friend can access through the internet. I don't want to use a service like dropbox but just want my friend to be able to access it directly using my ip address.

Is there a simple solution?

Thanks.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Simple? Dunno.

You need to enable file sharing on your Mac in your settings, and give appropriate permissions for the folder you wish to share.

Then make sure you have an open port for file sharing on your local network, and make sure this port is forwarded to the Mac sharing the folder. If you have a firewall on that Mac as well, make sure it's configured properly.

Your pal can then use FTP to connect to your mac using the appropriate port, assuming he or she knows your IP address. But if you have a dynamic IP then it may change, and that info would have to get to him or her.

You could also use SFTP or webdav, but that's more complicated.

It's an awful lot easier to use a service. ESPECIALLY if you have a dynamic IP.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Agree with the above for simplicity. I use SkyDrive and can mark what files I want to share.

Also, if you choose to go the direct route, you can use a service such as DynDNS so you don't have to know your IP.

4. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Going to give the direct route a shot.