Help please - New MBP choice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Geneva Red, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Geneva Red macrumors newbie

Hi all, newbie here and apologies if I'm asking something already covered.

I'm new to the macworld and have been holding out for the new MBP, but not sure which one to purchase. Currently have a five year old dell, which works ok but is slow, out of date etc. I'm not a big computer user, but this purchase will be my only home computer and I hope will last for 5 plus years. My main uses are internet, photos (little bit of editing), little bit of gaming (mainly football manager 2010), extensive use of itunes in tandem with apple tv. Will be used predominantly at home, but good to be pretty portable.

really like the look and feel of the MBP and looking at the 15". Does it make any sense for me to upgrade to the 500GB 7200rpm?

Am I being a bit naive paying the Apple premium given what I will do with it?

Any advice will be most welcome.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

For the photos and iTunes (and Apple TV streaming), the 7200RPM drive will be a good choice.

Otherwise the 2.4GHz i5 (base configuration) should be enough. The high-resolution display will be nice for the photos, but otherwise both are good choices.

3. Naxul macrumors newbie

# There is no way we can guarantee that it will last for 5 years, dont do anything crazy, only thing I can say about it.

# I dont know much about gaming on a Macbook Pro, but I think you should be allright if you buy this MBP.

# I will be ordering my MBP at the end of the month, if the 500GB 7200 RPM fits your buget, why not?

# You can get better specs in other devices which run Windows, if your fined with that you should check that out, its cheaper too.

I aslo recommend you check out the BTO options for your screen. It has a nice resolution bump.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi, base 15" should be fine for you. Used to have a late 2008 2.4GHz MBP and it handled all the tasks you mention with ease.

If you aren't aware already, FM2010 runs on OS X, used to use the integrated 9400M @ 1440x900 and it handled that game with no issues, the new base 15" is a fair step up from my old model, so think you'll be perfectly happy with it.

5. Geneva Red thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the quick responses. Very helpful and from what i'm hearing, the 15" base model will be fine for what I'll use it for and be good to upgrade to 7200rpm HDD and hi res if my budget can afford it.

One interesting thing for me is when I price up the base 15" with said upgrades (500GB 7200 + hi res) and then price up the mid 15" with same upgrades, the price differential is only CHF70 (GBP45) even though the difference in price without the upgrades is CHF200 (GBP125). Seems a no brainer to take the mid range version (i.e. only GBP45 for the quicker i5), am I missing something?

Thanks again.

6. sbeh macrumors newbie

Hy
    Just got my new 15" BASE MODEL, standard config. and she is fast as lightning, and for your needs more then enough.

Boot up from cold in 32 sec. shut down under 3 sec.

If you wanna spend more money, do it on SSD Harddisk or some more ram. But stat with the base config, and in a year or more ad SSD / Ram, at that time you will feel that even this wonder needs and update.

7. Geneva Red thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, final question. Went to buy the 15" 2.53 i5 with 500GB 7200rpm and hi res upgrades in the Geneva store, but they have neither in stock, only the model without either upgrade. Went online to purchase the model, but they estimate delivery at beginning of May and I'm getting impatient to have it.

Will these upgrades really make any difference for me and therefore will I be happy with the 15" i5 with no upgrades which I can get tomorrow or should I order online and wait?

Thanks again and sorry for being a pain.

8. gent11 macrumors newbie

No prob, buy now the model, which is available and send it back in 2 weeks, then get the one you want with 0 extra expenses ;)

9. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Good advice above.

I believe hi res + anti glare is indispensable. Then go to settings too, and make the default fonts larger, cmd J in the finder. I would go for the glossy/glassy displays.

As for the 7200 hd, if you are not too big on storage (you can always get a time capsule at home that will automatically take care of your back ups (i.e. permanent peace of mind) and use it as a file server too for you larger media files, as well as being one of the best n routers around, you can stick your printer there too and print wirelessly from any mac (or pc) )I would go with the stock hd, and wait a few months when intel (amongst others) bring down ssd manufacturing to 24nm (might have this number slightly off), along with the prices. Then you can get a 256gb or more ssd, The performance gain you will see with this will literally blow your mind, far and above anything that any hd can offer. And it will consume less battery too.

Good luck with your new mac, you are going to love it.

10. Geneva Red thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for advice above. Bought my first mac at the weekend (middle 15" macbook pro) and absolutely loving it. Can't believe I put up with my 5 yr old dell for so long.