Help Please. New to mac, question about location of downloaded applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Italstln13, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Italstln13 macrumors member

I first downloaded google earth application to try out and mess around with. Nice app! I then downloaded mpeg stream-clip application. Both applications worked great after I download them. I shutdown my macbook pro over the weekend while I was out of town. First time I have shut it down since purchasing it. I could not locate these applications after I booted up my macbook pro today. After looking extensively for the apps, I found them in my download folder. I thought these apps would be located in my application folder???? Did I miss something??? Do I need to drag .dmg files to my apps folder?? Thanks in advance!!!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

.dmg files are containers for the files you should move into the Applications folder. Sounds like you just mounted the dmgs and used the apps from there. You should drag the apps, not the dmgs, into your Applications folder.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you simply mount the .dmg, drag and copy the application to your Applications folder, unmount/eject the .dmg and keep it or trash it. more info.