Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
I had been using Unison, which sort of worked OK but crashed a lot. Panic released one final release of Unison for free to everyone and it's absolutely awful and made my whole machine crash and I had to do a hard restart. I am currently using Unison 2.1.10.

I would like to get another newsgroups reader program, along the same lines as Unison. I know you can get lots of progs to download binaries, but I want something that will let me read and post to the groups. Using Google Groups isn't suitable because, if a picture is posted I can't see it in Google Groups.

There has to be some other way out there or reading newgroups on Yosemite surely?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I ran into some problems with the final release of Unison (2.2) when trying to download mp3 files from the binary groups, so i "downgraded" to version 1.8 and it seems to work fine, even with Yosemite 10.10.2.

Unison also works well with older versions of the OS (10.6.8 and 10.7.5), in my experience.

I suggest you "wipe" your current copy of Unison -- remove all traces of it completely -- and start from scratch.
If necessary try the old version 1.8 if you can get ahold of it.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
I ran into some problems with the final release of Unison (2.2) when trying to download mp3 files from the binary groups, so i "downgraded" to version 1.8 and it seems to work fine, even with Yosemite 10.10.2.

Unison also works well with older versions of the OS (10.6.8 and 10.7.5), in my experience.

I suggest you "wipe" your current copy of Unison -- remove all traces of it completely -- and start from scratch.

I might try that version then. 2.1.10 isn't working so well either. Thanks for the tip.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland

Thanks again for this. I downloaded the 1.8 version (luckily I still had a version 1 serial) and, oddly enough, it works better than the 2.0 versions I had tried.

I had always had problems with the 2.0 versions of Unison, even on Mountain Lion. It's odd that upgrades would actually make a piece of software crash more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.