Help please! photo Gallery Went BLACK!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HeyGreggie, Feb 2, 2012.

1. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I don't know exactly what has happened but my photo gallery went completely black...

Is there a fix to this? I cannot select anything either. I'm jailbroken and I have iFile if need be. Please help

I can't even post the screenshot I took because it doesn't show up in the photo gallery. I don't even have Camera Roll...

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Did you try a reboot?

what was the last packages you installed from Cydia?

3. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

I would press and hold both the home and power button until you see the apple logo, then let go of both buttons and let the fone reboot. :)

4. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Just did this, however it's not working either. Should I go into iFile and just delete something from var/mobile/media/photodata ?

5. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

You can also try calling it names?

JK, just try closing out the app and opening it back up. If not then I would try what was suggested above, a hard reboot.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

NO, manually deleting things with iFile is just not a good idea..

7. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

Might be worth a try ....

I was struggling with one of my homescreen icons being blank (all white)

Went to Cydia, whent to packages and re-installed "Mobile Substraight"

This cured the problem, might do the same for you and your gallery.

Like I said, it's worth a try.

Beef

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I think he ment "mobile substrate" ;)

9. UCLAKoolman, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

The photo gallery images turning black is not an issue with jailbreaking. This happened to my iPhone 4S the second week I had it. I ended up backing everything up to my computer and restoring the phone. Luckily the pictures looked fine on my computer.

I never figured out what caused the glitch, but i suspected it had something to do with how you review images differently when taking photos from the lock-screen shortcut.

My issue was similar to the one discussed here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2503448?start=0&tstart=0

10. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

It was also a known issue that deleting photos through the DCIM folder in iFile could wipe out the camera roll. This happened to me on my iP4. I do not know if the issue has since been resolved through iFile updates but if you have photo's in there that you would like to keep I do not recommend attempting it.

11. HeyGreggie thread starter macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I think this is what happened with me. I used iFile to move a photo, and my whole thing went out. So I'm forced now to use ifunbox to restore everything.

Only issue is I dont know how to put stuff BACK into the Camera Roll.

Is there a way to move items to a folder in jailbreak WITHOUT them being resynced to the default folder you placed them in after you've synced your phone again?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL you should had started there!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it is going to go to hell!.. moving stuff around with iFile is not a good idea ever!!!!!!!!!!! .. iOS is a database driven OS, pretty much everything on the file system is link to a databased structure and entry, if you move stuff around with iFIle the OS doesn't know what the hell happen (since the dababase says that file is suppose to be there, but it really isn't), the OS doesn't have a way to handle those error since you are not suppose to have that type of access on the first place.

Your best bet will be to backup your stuff on itune, refresh the firmware and re-jailbreak.

(and Stop massing with iFile please... iFile is intended for developer and to use the file system on the userland area, do not mess with anything outside there.)

13. Beefburga macrumors regular

Beefburga

Sorry Chaps

...... for the incorrect spelling, just checking to see if your all awake and youll be glad to know you've all passed the test.

I love ifile but agree with other quotes, too much tinkering and your phone spits out it's dummy.

All the Best

Beef