Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austinw88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Ok, I have a powerbook g3 (firewire) I just got from a friend and its not working. The battery is charged because I bought a new charger for it and the light shows full charge. It comes on and you can hear the harddrive kick on the num locks lights up along with the caps lock button but there is no picture at all. I tried pluging it in to another monitor but still nothing. Can anyone help me?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Ok, I have a powerbook g3 (firewire) I just got from a friend and its not working. The battery is charged because I bought a new charger for it and the light shows full charge. It comes on and you can hear the harddrive kick on the num locks lights up along with the caps lock button but there is no picture at all. I tried pluging it in to another monitor but still nothing. Can anyone help me?

Does it have OS X or OS 9? If you have either, you could take it from another computer and try booting from that on a flash drive. I only tried it on OS 9, though. If that works, then obviously the hard drive is the only problem.

martinws

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2004
Dorset, UK

It could be a dead PRAM battery. Try disconnecting it.

Austinw88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I thought about that, But sense i'm new to apples I dont know where its located on them and I didnt want to break to far into it without knowing the location.

martinws

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2004
Dorset, UK
I thought about that, But sense i'm new to apples I dont know where its located on them and I didnt want to break to far into it without knowing the location.

It's pretty easy to disconnect the PRAM battery, see the iFixIt site.

Looks like from step 3 you could just straight to step 8. A couple of minutes of work will see if the problem is that.

Austinw88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I tried the pram battery, still nothing... I dont know what to do with this thing.

Austinw88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
No luck on fixing the computer, Can someone tell me what it might be worth not working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.