Help Please! Recent Keyboard problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by apaulfx, Nov 30, 2009.

1. apaulfx macrumors newbie

Ive been using my macbook for sometime. performs very well but just recently i booted up my macbook and my "<" button has stopped working all together. This is also a problem considering i cant use any commas. but on top of that my trackpad is having issues as well.
    I can still scroll up an down with two fingers. However the double tap "right click" feature has stopped working.

I have checked my system settings and everything set up normally. Is there anyway to reset my keyboard?

I have even gone as far as taking my top case off and replugging it back in. ( using http://www.ifixit.com/)

Please keep in mind my macbook warrenty is voided due to its age but being a web designer the "<" key is pretty nessecary...( i had to copy and paste < just to use it)

I have a black Apple MacBook 13.3-inch 2GHz (A1181):apple:

Any help would be much appreciated!!!! :(

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's very odd. Have you tried zapping the PRAM? On startup, hold command+option+P+R until you hear the chime a second time.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

apaulfx, by chance, is the plastic near either palm rest chipping on your computer? Here's a picture with an example.

[​IMG]

4. apaulfx thread starter macrumors newbie

No Chipping that i see.

Now I just tried to attempt the PRAM reset and im unable to do so?
    Both the option and command tab are working correctly but when I attempt to hold down those buttons the boot screen just loads as normal. As if i never held anything down? I also held down the alternative buttons but got no similar response.

On an interesting note, I plugged in a usb keyboard and im getting use of my , key on it. Regardless of this being a temporary solution I am still baffled at this strange situation....

Also, Sometimes doing the reboot my comma key turns itself on?
    example: on boot ill hear the noise of a key being pressed down and once i click a text box i get (,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) until i press another key to stop it.

I really appreciate the responses!!!!!:(

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

"Alternative buttons"?

6. apaulfx thread starter macrumors newbie

shift at restart for safe mode.
    and option by itself for sound.

neither had any response during boot.