Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikerol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Florida
Hello -- I've been reading about this but still confused. Basically, I play acoustic guitar. But, when the kids are sleeping, it's impossible to play. I have a strat that I figured maybe I can run through GarageBand along with headphones and it won't disturb anyone if I'm jacking around learning songs.

Anybody have a clue what I need in order to do this? Don't care about recording. Just want to play and be able to hear what I'm playing in the headphones.

My owner's manual is up in the attic. I have an iMac 2.8, 24 inch -- the headphone jack is farthest to the left. I'm guessing the audio input is the next one over to the right?
thanks
Mike

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
My owner's manual is up in the attic. I have an iMac 2.8, 24 inch -- the headphone jack is farthest to the left. I'm guessing the audio input is the next one over to the right?

Yep. That's the audio input. All you need is a male 1/8" to female 1/4" adapter. Plug a 1/4" cable from your guitar into the adapter, and you should be good to go.
;)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yep. That's the audio input. All you need is a male 1/8" to female 1/4" adapter. Plug a 1/4" cable from your guitar into the adapter, and you should be good to go.
;)

Can you really plug an instrument level signal into "Line In"?

What's the input impedance of the line in jack. You need at least 500K ohms so as not to load the guitar. Guitars don't have amps inside.

OK it might work. But stratocasters don't have really hot pickups. To do this "right" you'd want a USB audio interface that has a 1/4" instrument level input. Cost about $100 more or less.

Or you can use this (it's is what I use) and not even bother with the Mac
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30
This plugs into the guitar's 1/4" jack then you plug headphone into that. It is battery powered so you are not tethered.

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
I have plugged in an electric guitar straight into my iMac using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter and that didn't really work. I had to turn up the gain loads and it sounded awful and crackly.

I think you would be better of using a USB thing, or try using a DI box if you have one as thats whats used in studios (and what I have used)

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Can you really plug an instrument level signal into "Line In"?

What's the input impedance of the line in jack. You need at least 500K ohms so as not to load the guitar. Guitars don't have amps inside.

Yep, it works no problem. Obviously not a good solution for recording, but to just hear back, it works fine.

mikerol

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Florida
thanks for the help. i'm going to buy one of those istudio link cables and see how it shakes out.
thanks
mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.