Help Please: Setting up wireless in a 5 Storey Georgian House!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Eazkk123, May 9, 2009.

1. Eazkk123 macrumors member

I've been trying to figure this out for some time but really don't know what to do! Help Please!

I am trying to set up a wireless network in a 5 Storey Georgian House with fairly thick walls and interference from cordless phones. My Macbook Pros support N draft.

Equipment: 2 Airport Extremes (1 dual band & 1 single band), 1 Airport Express (N), and 2 Netgear Powerline HD 200Mb.

Help much appreciated!

Thank you!! :confused::)

2. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

just i thought.. dont know if this will help.. butwhat about a signal repeater?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

I would spread out the airports as much as possible. If you can hardwire the remotes back to the main, you will have better performance, the powerline device will work for one, and if you can run an ethernet cable to the other it would be best (or possibly add another powerline, not familiar enough with them to know if you can do that)
    If you are mildly handy, it's not that hard to make your own ethernet cables, or to make a wall mount box with ethernet. You should be able to get the supplies and tools at your local home store.

if you can't run hardwire, you can do WDS, but if the repeater is only getting a weak signal, you won't have good results, and even with a good signal WDS will impact performance.

I would make 2 networks "network_N" coming from both extremes and the express, and also have "network_G" from the dual.

as far as which extreme to use for the main (connected directly to your modem), and where to put the express, i would put the dual closer to where you will be doing the most surfing. If you have iPhones or other G devices, they can be setup to join the G only network. so just do whicever makes sense for your house's layout.

and if it makes sense to put the express next to a stereo, added bonus, you can use airtunes.

5ghz signals don't go through walls well so you'll probably want to avoid unless you will mainly be using in the same room (or maybe one over). So i would recommend using 2.4 GHz N. (with B/G compatible if you need it)

on the express (and i'm assuming there's a similar setting on the extreme) you want to put it in "off (bridge mode)" on the internet settings screen on the remotes, then set up the wireless with the same SSID and security, but different channels (or automatic.) Your devices should switch to the stronger signal without any intervention from you.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Good wi-fi practices call for consistent signal over range and that old school house of yours is going to hinder any wall through wall action. The best thing you could is wire up each room you need wireless in (buy additional airports if necessary or have only three wifi designated rooms) and bump down the transmit power (since you can't go through the walls anyway).