help please! spacebar won't leave a space!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sue j, May 6, 2008.

1. sue j macrumors newbie

I have a brand new macbook pro. everything's great, no issues...except the spacebar will not leave a space...in Word or ANYWHERE!
    I've tried everything. anyone have any ideas???

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does the spacebar do anything (besides leaving a space) in any application, e.g. making the page scroll down in Safari or Firefox? If not, I'll throw out the obvious possibility: You have a defective keyboard.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I had a problem with my "R" key not working 90% of the time. I took it to Apple, they decided I needed a new keyboard. Since I was within my 14 days, they just gave me a new MBP. If it is new, get it replaced while you still can.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I vote for bad keyboard without the Safari test.

I had that happen to me on my very first Mac -- a Mac 512. Only in my case it was the night before a term paper was due. I had only one recourse: copy a space from another document, then use command-v to insert spaces where I needed them.

In hindsight I probably could have come up with a more elegant solution -- like typing a number or some other little-used character and then doing a search/replace at the end.

The computer was out of warranty, and the keyboard cost $150 to replace -- a lot of money for a college kid in 1988!