Help please......Texts received from my email....not my phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noupf, Dec 19, 2014.

1. noupf, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014

noupf macrumors member

So my wife just responded to some of my texts, asking why it's coming to her as a text from [removed]@hotmail.com ( my old, but still used ) email address. Any ideas?

2. jredecop macrumors 6502a

You have that on as an options in the messaging app. Go into messages and turn that off and delete that conversation and start over.

Settings, messages, send & receive

3. noupf thread starter macrumors member

4. tugger, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

tugger macrumors regular

tugger

I had the same problem, and my phone number was not listed as an option under Settings - Messages - Send & Receive - "Start New Conversations From". Also my number appeared under "You Can Be Reached By iMessage At", but it was not checked and I couldn't select it.

I went to Settings - Messages and toggled iMessage off/on. Something like "Activation in progress" appeared, and when this finished I looked under Send & Receive and my number was now checked under "You Can Be Reached By iMessage At", and my number now appeared under "Start New Conversations From". I simply had to tap on my number there to select it as the source.

5. cynics macrumors G3

I have the same problem. Main is set to my phone number. Email is required for continuity. It's very frustrating since I use the phone for work.

6. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Your AppleID is required for Continuity, which may or may not be your email.

7. cynics macrumors G3

You need to have it on in messages to receive SMS on a Mac.

8. posguy99 macrumors 6502

I don't know why I bother.

9. solodogg macrumors 6502

you definitely do not. I only use my phone number for iMessages, not my Apple ID, and continuity works just fine between my Mac Mini, MBP, iPad, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 6. I receive phone calls, text messages, and iMessages on all devices.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I assume this is now made possible because of iOS 8? However, if I am to do this, what about all the iPhone-less people who previously reached me on iMessages via my iCloud address through their iPads?

11. solodogg macrumors 6502

continuity just became an option with iOS 8. Anyone that would message you to your e-mail address would not reach you. They would need to message your phone number. If they have iOS 8, they can message you by phone number now, instead of just e-mail.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's what I'm concerned about. People who don't know this new rule and assume I can no longer be reached if I decide to use just my phone number.