Help Please to wipe and reinstall OS

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by boogiedout, Feb 7, 2016.

1. boogiedout macrumors member

Hi,
    I have given my macbook air 2012 to my eldest daughter. I have still have my account on it and hers. The macbook is now running out of disk space and I want to set it up clean for her to use.
    What I need help with is this. I want to do a fresh install of el capitan for her. If I factory reset the air, its currently on yosemite, can I install el capitan and then load all her files, photos, apps and stuff from a time machine backup?
    Thanks in advice for any help!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Save yourself time and just delete your account (it'll delete all your files) then just update the OS.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I agree with Gav2k here. Simply deleting your old account is a lot easier than completely starting over from scratch – and will offer the exact same results.

If your daughter has admin privileges in the Users preference panel, then it should be a one-click fix.

4. boogiedout thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this, I didn't know this was an option. Can I just give her account the admin privileges from my account?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can indeed. Then sign out of your account and into hers the. You can delete yours from hers. Nice and simple.

6. boogiedout thread starter macrumors member

cheers you're a superstar! ill let you know how i get on