Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boogiedout

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Hi,
I have given my macbook air 2012 to my eldest daughter. I have still have my account on it and hers. The macbook is now running out of disk space and I want to set it up clean for her to use.
What I need help with is this. I want to do a fresh install of el capitan for her. If I factory reset the air, its currently on yosemite, can I install el capitan and then load all her files, photos, apps and stuff from a time machine backup?
Thanks in advice for any help!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I agree with Gav2k here. Simply deleting your old account is a lot easier than completely starting over from scratch – and will offer the exact same results.

If your daughter has admin privileges in the Users preference panel, then it should be a one-click fix.

boogiedout

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks for this, I didn't know this was an option. Can I just give her account the admin privileges from my account?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for this, I didn't know this was an option. Can I just give her account the admin privileges from my account?
You can indeed. Then sign out of your account and into hers the. You can delete yours from hers. Nice and simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.