help please torn down the middle!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchnewb, Dec 18, 2007.

1. touchnewb macrumors newbie

i am new here but not to computers. but i am new to the ipod touch and iphone so i would like to ask this: i am on the fence on what to get. ihave a 30gig 5th gen ipod video that i am going to sell for 100 bux and that will give me enough money to buy an iphone or and ipod touch (16gig) version. but the thing i am worried about is the price. they both cost about the same. but one is a phone and the other an mp3 player. it doesnt matter about apps and stuff because i will jailbreak what ever i get but i might also et a prepaid sim card to use in the iphone. i had att and i hated it i think verizon has a way better quality of services.i would use this as an mp3 player and having a spare phone isnt a bad idea. i also like the iphone because it comes with the dock too. but the touch has more memory. so i dont know waht to do! i messed with the iphone and it is nice but the edge network sucks were i live (inland empire california). so if you guys were in my shoes waht would you get? and with the prepaid sim card would i still get internet as well? and if i got att go phone card would i get free mobile to mobile? thanks and sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure and not regrett my purchase becasue its almost 500 buxs im going to throw around. that is not chump change to me. well thanks again for the help.
    touchnewb

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Well I'm not sure how much you listen to your iPod, or how much music you usually toll around... I'm perfectly fine with my 8GB iPhone... I just can't stand having multiple devices in my pocket / person ... If you're ok with that, and since you said ATT isn't very good in your area, the iPod Touch would probably be a better purchase in your scenario.

just my .02

3. stekerrod macrumors regular

i had a similar dilema to you when the touch was released.....i went for the iPhone in the end.....i find the 8GB of space in the iPhone fine, so if you think you will be able to cope with 8GB of space instead of 16 go for the iPhone.....i don't regret the decision to be honest!

4. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

It really depends on how badly you want internet. Fortunately for me, Cincinnati has one of the most developed wi-fi networks. My touch is rarely out of range of wi-fi. However the touch is pretty much an overpriced PMP if wi-fi is not widely available.

Be wary of a pre-paid iPhone. I'm sure the data rates are no where near fair.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, getting an iPhone allows me to carry one less item with me. The limited amount of storage, is less important.

6. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm it seems that people think the iphone would be the better idea. but in jailbreaking which is easier to do and is the iphone easier to brick than the itoch?

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Unless you are planning to "unlock" the iPhone, you will not brick it...Jailbreak will not brick the phone...

8. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm well ithink im going to get the touch. no need for prepaid and i just got my music sorted out and it comes out to 10gigs so i think the touch ffers the best. but when i get it were do i go to get info on jailbreaqking it and were do i get some apps?and with the jail break can i change the wall paper in the menu?

9. nlivo macrumors 6502a

10. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

why though? i really dont need the phone and the other things it offers are nice but i can get them on the touch as i have heard. the only thing it has is the camera but i have a good 12.1 snoy one for pictures. other then than that it seems like they are the same. but why would you say to get the iphone please give your response as i would like to hear it.:):D

11. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, I was a little vague. I just feel (when I'm using my touch, which I absolutely love by the way), it's a little incomplete. That the interface and everything was just made to be a phone aswell. The touch just feels a little empty without the phone. I do not know. If you think the touch is best for you, go for it.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think sums it up for me as well. I loved the touch but I said WTF may as well get a phone!!

13. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

oh so you mean like the touching you do it feels empty becasue you have the iphone too and they feel diffrent?? or its just when meesing around with one? because i have messed with my friends iphones and they are really sweet. but every time i go to best buy the ipod touch is messed up and i cant use it. might go to cicuit city to try it. or just buy one and if i dont like it return it.because if i dont like the touch i will get a zune or something.

oh so now we have two people. so you guys think i should get the phone instead? when you have the iphone hooked up how many gigs does it have actually when it is formatted? and i forgot to mention can i use it as a disk drive as weel?

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

actual size is 7.27 gigs and currently No you can not use it as a disk drive, but rumors state that this will change with the new firmware update, but thats just a rumor so dont quote me.

I agree with all the previous posts above because my friend has a iPod Touch and for basicly the same price it does feel more empty to use, obviously it's missing widgets (weather, stocks, maps and a camera) and the ones it does come with (Safari, E-Mail, You Tube) are useless unless your on a Wi-Fi network, so unless you good a Wi-Fi connection near by often, all you really have is just Music and Movies for the same $399 price.

I have about 10 gigs in music and about 30 gigs in Movies/ TV Shows, and I almost didn't buy the phone just because I didn't think 8 gigs was enough, untill someone asked me "in a single day, how much Music do you actually listen to or Movies do I watch?", that got me thinking... I tend to have my flavor of the week (some weeks i'm really into rock and other weeks im into techno) and so I bought the phone and I am more than happy with it.

About once a week I tend to update my media on my phone and I rotate my music with different artist and albums... I like listening to all my music so no matter whats playing on my phone I tend to be happy, I currently have 1.5 gigs free, never a daul moment

15. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

well that is a good reason and seems logical. i guess i have some thinking to do...i have been fine with my 30 gig 5th gen ipod video but i want something diffrent. i can get the zune now but i want to try the touch. im going to see if i do buy it and dont like it if i can return it. but im going to go back to itunes and weed out all my music that i dont listen too. thanks alot. and what case should i get for the touch? i want a silicone case but which should i get. the only thing i dont like is it has the shiny back still.

16. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

my pal has the touch and the back is in a right mess. You really need a case for it from the first day you buy it. My phone has a srcreen protector and that's all. And apart from a tiny dent which no one can notice (apart from me) its in perfect condition. Go with the phone!!!!!!

17. touchnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

okay im down to the wire and im about to go pick up the touch but this is what is holding me back.... how can i convert all my music to these specs?

112kbps MP3 (No VBR) Sample rate 44.100kHz Joint stereo, and check filter frequencies below 10Hz

would i need a special program and if so can you show me a good free one? thanks alot. and since im getting a touch can this be moved to the touch general section? also i wanted to know that when i jailbreak will these apps take up alot of space?