Help Please! - Upgrading Early 2008 Macbook to SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by copete, Dec 7, 2012.

1. copete macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I'm in need of some expert help here.

Basically, I am planning on upgrading my Early 2008 Macbook to an SSD (preferably in the 240gb range). Unfortunately, after doing some research, I'm unclear as to which type of SSD would be compatible (A link to the harddrive on NewEgg would be fantastic). Can someone please give me some insight? Thanks very much!!

Here are my specs:

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB

Serial Number W88092GG0P5

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Thanks for your help! Also, if someone feels compelled, I would also appreciate the basic steps I should take in terms of getting OSX Lion onto the new harddrive.

Thanks again.

2. rampancy macrumors regular

rampancy

Some basic thoughts on your questions:

1. You really ought to upgrade your RAM to 4 GB; even if your MacBook supports only 3 GB, the more RAM you'll have with Lion, the better.

2. From my experience, and from other reports I've read, stay the hell away from OCZ SSDs. Due to a plethora of issues, from buggy firmware to faulty controller chips, their reliability, at least of the more affordable consumer-level SSDs, is suspect.

3. Intel and Micron's SSDs are among the more highly regarded, as they're more stringent with their testing and actually manufacture the flash they use in their drives. Intel's drives are very good, but very expensive.

4. If you're willing to compromise, it might be worth a look at the Seagate Momentus XT, a hybrid hard drive which marries a 7200 rpm drive with 4 GB of NAND flash, coupled with a 32 MB cache. I don't know where you live in Canada, but Canada Computers has a really good deal on their 500 GB Momentus XT drives.

3. mike457 macrumors 6502

I have used both the Intel in my Mini and the Mushkin in my Cube, both purchased from NCIX. I'm very happy with the results of both. NCIX often has these on sale; they tend to have the best prices in Canada on hard drives, and delivery is very fast.