Help Please - WD MyBook Premium 500GB Problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oatastemur, Mar 1, 2009.

1. oatastemur macrumors newbie

Hello, I purchased a Western Digital MyBook Premium 500GB about 18 months ago, and recently I have encountered a very strange problem. As it is the first problem I have encountered with any hard drive (strangely), I have no idea what the problem could be. When I connect my hard drive to my iMac using FireWire 400 and start transferring files, after a few minutes, the hard drive will just freeze. The Finder stops responding and the file copy operation just stops. I can't even force quit the Finder. However, as soon as I disconnect the hard drive forcefully, everything returns to normal. I do not experience the same problem with any other external storage devices. I did do a quick search of the internet, however, my searching skills are not particularly great so I have not found anything of help. Any help will bre appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Joerigoesmac macrumors member

Joerigoesmac

its probably broken, try using Totalcommander to copy the data, if that doesnt help you can try to copy smaller amounts of data (possible that 1 section of the disk is broken).

Do you hear any sounds from the harddrive when it crashes?

3. oatastemur thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there aren't any strange sounds from the hard drive. The data isn't particularly important anyway. It's only my downloads drive, and everything can easily be re-downloaded...

Edit: The hard drive just continues spinning after the problem.