Help Please...Which MacBook should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rikramer, May 9, 2012.

1. rikramer macrumors newbie

Hoping to get some expert opinion on this.

I've started to learn coding during my evenings / weekend. I'm a complete newb: I'm starting on javascript and html and will work my way up to Ruby and Pearl. I'd like to get off my work computer and do my training / coding on a personal machine. My ultimate goal is to build web sites, web applications, and mobile apps.

Questions:

- Will any MacBook suffice?

- Can I get away with using an Air? (I love the slim profile)

- How much memory should I conservatively require?

- How much flash storage should I conservatively require?

Thanks much!

2. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

I would say go for the 15" for the large display, although you won't need much processing power, you really can't go wrong with any of 'em.

3. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Any MacBook will do, though you may want to consider both the screen size and weight.

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

You can do that with almost any computer (it doesnt even have to be a mac) (edit: unless you use XCode to program iphone apps, locked down to OSX)

I use dreamweaver, and am not a hardcore coder, but I built a couple websites...

For basic webpage making, and air would suffice (If you are ok with a screen that small, that is), and 128gb or 256gb is ok, if you are not a media junkie like me :) (my setup is passing 4tb)

For coding (I assume ipad/iphone apps), you might want something a bit more hardcore (maybe a 13inch or 15inch macbook pro).

The basic memory options are ok (I run 3gb RAM on a 2006 intel mac, its a bit sluggish but it suffices)

Basically, any macbook will probably do you good. The hardest part is deciding what screen size you want

Edit: Building a website however, you will want to have an external display so you can check out how the site looks on different screens. There are other methods, but I have not had problems on a 20 inch display