Help Please! Which USB<->Serial or BT<->Serial works?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by snarfquest, Oct 27, 2013.

1. snarfquest macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MBP now running Mavericks.

I have a Sewell USB<->Serial
    I have a Trip-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS USB<->Serial
    and I have a Brainboxes BL-819B BT<->Serial

All of them have the same issue. They can send data but do not receive data.

I have a USRobotics V.92 Modem as a test and I can send AT commands to the modem and it responds. However, I only know this because I can tell the modem to go off hook and it does by the indicator lights. I never get an "OK" back from the modem.

My goal isn't to use the modem, it is to control my telescope mount which is serial. I have the same issue. I can send commands to the telescope and it responds but it I never get back DEC/RA from the telescope mount.

Now if I boot Windows via Bootcamp on the very same laptop then use the very same modem every thing works! Thus proving my cables and adapter are all good.

I had the same problem in OS X Mtn Lion I was hoping Mavericks would fix it. But I guess not. So, does anybody have a known 100% working serial solution in Mavericks?

2. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

You don't give enough details here. What method are you using to communicate with the serial device? Using a Keyspan serial to USB device, the following works for me:

Go to terminal and type "screen /dev/tty.PL2303".

You need to know the right tty name, so run "ls /dev/tty.*" first to see the list of options after you plug the usb to serial device in.

3. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I'm using screen with the correct device that isn't the issue...

For example when connected to my old modem. After many years of running bulletin board systems I've long since had the AT command set memorized. I can turn auto answer "on" on the modem and I see the AA light come on. I can reset the modem, I can force it off hook, etc etc. However, after every command I should get a response back from the modem "OK". I do not see any of the responses. I do see the send/receive lights blink.

Again if I boot windows and using putty to connect to the modem it works as expected. Meaning I get an "OK" back from the modem after my AT commands.

Same basic problem with the telescope mount. Moving the telescope sends the current position of the mount in 2 numbers. RA (right ascension) and DEC (declination). In windows using putty these numbers scroll down the screen as they should when the telescope moves. My software (TheSky) works fine under windows. However, in OSX on the same laptop with the same cables, usb<->serial etc, in screen I get nothing. The USA-19HS has a light that flickers when data is passing through it. It is certainly blinking but it is as if the OSX drivers are deaf and ignore all incoming data.

This seems to me to be a driver problem with OSX. Which is why I am asking for a confirmed working USB<->serial?

4. snarfquest thread starter macrumors regular

My fear is being realized. No USB<->serial confirmed working?