Help please! Why do I do this to myself?? 3GS stuck in recovery mode...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chanimal, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Chanimal macrumors newbie

OK, So i have a 3GS.
    Used redsn0w in Windows XP to jailbreak it. No cell signal. Can't unlock.

Did it again, upgrade to ipad BB. Jailbroken, no cell signal. (I have a legit Rogers SIM card.) Used wifi to download ultrasn0w from Cydia. Got signal, but horrible battery life.

Uninstalled ultrasn0w. Tried to redo redsn0w to see if it was the problem of not getting any signal, got the phone stuck in restore more (the screen has the usb logo and the itunes logo)

Tried Tinyumbrella, can't kick it out. What do I do now? Do I NEED to find a MAC and use Pwnage Tool?

Please help! Thank you so much in advance.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You have to run Redsn0w and click "boot tethered"

3. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I have already upgraded the BB to the ipad BB, and supposedly the phone should be untetheredly jailbroken?

If this gets me out of restore mode, what do I have to do to upgrade to the new redsn0w jailbreak that has better battery and gps functions?

4. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

So I followed the last poster's recommendation to run redsn0w reboot tethered....

I got hte pineapple logo, then back to the restore mode, with the usb and itunes logos......

I started tinyumbrella and got the attached message....

Can someone help me get the phone working again? Please help!

Attached Files:

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Stuck in recovery mode still, please help

Can anyone suggest a solution?

I thought I may try using Pwnage Tool on a Mac to create a custom firmware for restore, but PT only create custom firmware up to 4.1, not 4.2.1 where I am at.

Please someone advise me what to do next?!?

8. phreebsd macrumors regular

according to your error message go kill the inetinfo process(es) OR reboot the machine then try TU again.

9. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

I did just that, but it still can't get it out of restore mode.

10. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried pretty much all options, but each time, whether it is trying to do redsn0w again, or just boot tethered, the pineapple logo comes up, and then the apple logo comes up, back to restore/recovery mode. Can anyone suggest what I should try next??

Thanks a million!

11. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

You have to use sn0wbreeze 2.1 to restore to custom firmware.

/thread

12. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried sn0wbreeze, and itunes gave me error 21 while restoring.... see attached picture.

Anything else I can try?

Attached Files:

13. PinoySaMI macrumors member

PinoySaMI

How about restoring it to factory settings with OS 4.2?

14. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

I will give that a try, but when I tried to restore it to 4.2.1 it failed. This has the ipad baseband, I thought I can't ever restore to a factory OS. Can I downgrade back to 4.2??

15. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Think he meant 4.2.1 as there is no 4.2 public. He is saying try the restore as new instead of restoring old backup.

I'm waiting on the windows tools to do the same on my 3GS only I want to keep my old unlockable baseband. My understanding is either way you need a custom firmware, seems there is a baseband check in 4.2.1 that verifies the baseband version or something. So it appears we are going to be making custom firmwares from here out.

17. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I tried to restore to 4.2.1 with itunes legitly, but it doesn't work. Again, it tells me there is an error. Since I upgraded to the ipad baseband, I can't restore to factory firmware anyways, that's one of the warnings for upgrading to the ipad BB, isn't that right?

So, what do I do now? Where can I find a custom firmware package to try and restore with??

I can't even get the phone to go into DFU mode as it is stuck in the restore mode.

Anyone??

18. nyz macrumors newbie

i'm currently going through roughly the same problem with a slight variation. My girlfriend clicked upgrade on her 3gs to 4.2.1 without realizing that I had jailbroken/unlocked her Bell phone to allow her to continue on her rogers account. I've tried legit restore, redsn0w restore, tether boot, custom pwnage tool restore. she had fiddled around with the phone a bit after she upgraded and she reverted to factory settings.

Now we can't figure out how to get to the 'set up new iphone' page in itunes, whether it be through redsnow/legit restore/ DFU mode etc. Very confused. Any help is appreciated. Long time reader, who's never had a problem I couldn't solve by browsing but I find myself thoroughly farked. Hello all! appreciate any feedback.

19. Chanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I can put it into DFU mode by holding down both power & home buttons for 10 seconds and then holding the home button until the computer recognizes it. However, when I try to restore with the stock firmware 4.2.1, it gave me a 1600 error. Now what? Should I run redsn0w again while in DFU mode? And if I do, do I say Yes or No to the first question about newer/older iphone 3GS? Mine was made early on, so I chose No the first time, but I have updated the phone to the iPad BB since, and does that have any factor on the first question? And do I have to update to iPad BB again?

All these options......but none seem to work. Please help. Thanks!