Help please with restoring the Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aevan, Jun 21, 2017.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

So, way back when El Capitan was a thing, I installed a public beta on my iMac 5K (2014). There was some weird bug with the disk utility (not even sure what happened) but I know that while trying to do a clean install (I erased the logical partition or something) to put full El Cap, I ended up with split SSD and HDD.

I didn't bother with it, so I just kept working with split SSD and HDD for a full year. However, I plan on using iCloud Drive this year more, and going for the 200Gb tier, I fear the 128Gb SSD won't be enough to store everything I start putting there. That's why I'd like to go back to Fusion and not worry about it.

I should note that I also have a Bootcamp partition that I would like to keep, if possible. I don't mind wiping the entire macOS partition clean and loosing everything there, but it would be a hassle to have to install Windows 10 again (I use it just to play Overwatch, but still).

So, is there a way to 'restore' my Fusion Drive without loosing Bootcamp? And, even if not, what's the easiest way to make FD again? And is it better to do it now, before APFS comes, or after?

I appreciate any assistance.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

3. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should be able to use Winclone to clone off the Windows install, then put it back after you rebuild the Fusion drive. Not free though.

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/winclone-2/

5. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Thanks, I may try that!