Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
I had to sync my phone with my old PC when I got it about 6 months ago, I've only just connected it to my new MBP, I thought I was syncing it but it would appear that it's wiped my phone! What are you supposed to do, It showed it syncing first and then I saw the box at the top say removing! How are you supposed to do this so it actually backs things up and not ruins my night? It's wiped all my progress on every single game on there too, so it's back to scratch for everything! Not happy. Why do I bother backing up when it does this. It makes you never want to back anything up?

Said computer wasn't authorised, which I've now done... none of this makes a hell of a lot of sense

The 'sync' address book and contacts, if ticked, Is that going to wipe this as well? the Advanced 'replace information on this phone' will that wipe it? What do I do? Should you see the contacts and mail on there if it syncs?

Can someone please tell me how to back up contacts without losing them and it removing all the apps
Also need to update to new version, which is when it said to me to back up etc.... meaning if I don't get contacts synced the new 'version' will wipe that too?

Last edited:

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Can anyone help me with this, or just tell me how to get contacts and SMS backed up so they are viewable rather than relying on a file that you can't open and assume it's in there should you need to restore? I've synced once and messed up, would appreciate one of you helping. I know it's all page 1 stuff for you guys, but some of us aren't as intuitive with tech stuff

Hi guys, had a nightmare syncing iPhone to iTunes, because when I got the phone I had a PC, (All that was for was to get the phone up and running because I knew I'd be using it on a Mac and you have to do that to use the phone, Apple said I didn't need to /register' it on iTunes if I wait till I've got the Mac to register it, which I did!) so when I put it into the MBP tonight, it's just messed everything up, and as it was syncing I saw 'deleting' come up in the step by step, which hasn't pleased me greatly, as you can imagine. It's messed up the phone, but unplugged before it lost every single contact. Why does pressing /sync/ mean after you've done that DELETE it.

Is there a safe way to back up contacts on the MBP from an iPhone before I let iTunes lousy unclear check boxes delete the whole phone? I need to update 'version' which is the only reason I tried to sync tonight. But, seems it was a bad idea. All those checkboxes for contacts make no sense, and the contacts in advanced etc., 'replace', with what?! Can someone tell me what's the thing to do.

One last question, what is the point of backing up APPS if they are games that you have to go through a 100 levels to get back to. They don't save where you are, and when put back on phone after they DELETED ALL OF THEM!!!they're all at square one again! All those bored levels wasted.... gameplay killed!

Is this the way of iTunes it won't back up and restore 'as the phone was', because the apps it backed up and removed when restored what it didn't delete, I had to arrange on the screens all over again, and the games it restored were all as new instead of completed levels?

Is it any wonder people like me don't back up, It always end in tears! Apple is not my friend

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Really, not one answer? Is this all too beneath you lot, the basic syncing of an iphone?

Thanks alot

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Really, not one answer? Is this all too beneath you lot, the basic syncing of an iphone?

Thanks alot

this might give some more info

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2008294?start=0&tstart=0

Make sure that it doesnt do any syncing, I assume you stopped this anyway to avoid it removing contacts

then go by the Apple links on above page for manually backing up and restoring

I dont think you can get it not to wipe everything, but a manual backup and then getting it to sync/restore will put everything back as it is now

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. They asked me to authorise when I was doing it which I did but they still messed it up. Is there somewhere else like the Mac iSync to keep contacts safe before I try this just in case?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. They asked me to authorise when I was doing it which I did but they still messed it up. Is there somewhere else like the Mac iSync to keep contacts safe before I try this just in case?

there is some software that does allow backups from iphone without itunes, it backs up most the data, been looking but I cant find it now, just found it, not used it but you might want to have a look
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/
offers a fully functioning 7 day trial, so might be ok for what you want

another possible solution (if you have a google account) would be to set this up on your phone and use the syncing on this, this will then copy contacts over to google, which you could delete later if you wanted

when initially setting contact sync up, it asks if you want to keep what is on your phone as the main ones

isync is old now and i don't believe does this anymore, itunes sync replaced it

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011

Thanks mate. I've got a google account yeh. I didn't get that option of keeping on phone. Probably because this wasn't the computer I used to set up phone but purposely did nothing else on it because I knew I was getting the Mac and the Apple brigade said it won't detect it's set up from elsewhere if you do nothing. Will the software 4.3 update wipe anything needed?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
P.S.... Can anyone get the Bluetooth and or Wi-Fi icons on home screen for quicker access than the usual way? Normal iP4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.