help please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by iluv2fish, Mar 16, 2011.

1. iluv2fish macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a powerbook G4. I updated as far as I could go with Leopard, For some reason my iPhoto has never updated since 4 It always worked just fine. Now I can't email photos. It say:
    Mail got an error: Can't get paragraph 8 of content of outgoing message id 8115776. Invalid index.
    So then I start finding all these updates. I tried to update to the latest, but it wouldn't let me. So I thought maybe I need to start from the beginning. Downloaded 5.0.4 but it says:
    You cannot install iphoto update 5.0.4 on this volume. An eligible iphoto application was not found in the location/Applications/iphoto.app.

iphoto 4.0.3 is in my applications folder. I wonder if thats why it didn't tell me about the updates...It couldn't find it? It worked perfectly for me before the leopard update. I have over 14,000 photos.
    Can anyone help me. Don't know what to do.
    Thanks for help at all.:confused:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If iPhoto 4.0.3 is the latest version of iPhoto 4, then you cannot update. You must upgrade to a newer full release version of the software. This is a paid upgrade. It appears that you attempted to use the iPhoto 5.0.4 updater to upgrade your software. This software will update an earlier version of iPhoto 5, but it cannot upgrade iPhoto 4.

The take away message is that you must locate a newer full release version of iPhoto or iLife that is compatible with your computer. The upgrade is not free.

3. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

if you have tried to update iphoto 4.xx with iphoto 5.xx you may have broken it somehow. Put the original iphoto disk in your computer and reinstall? maybe you have tried that. Whatever happens, your photos aren't lost. They'll be on you HD.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Absolutely not! The Installer searches your hard drive for valid software to update. If it can't find it, the Installer returns a message that no valid software is available to update. It does not blindly forge ahead and wreck havoc with your system.

Don't post FUD. The OP attempted to use updaters to update software that can't be updated. He needs a full release of a newer version of iPhoto or iLife, which includes iPhoto.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I would jump on the copy of iLife '09 at Amazon in the link below. It is compatible with the Power PC chip (G4). Later versions require intel processors. My wife has a G4 Powerbook and the most stable OS for it is 10.5 Tiger.

Amazon iWork 09 Link

Dale

6. iluv2fish thread starter macrumors newbie

more info please if you can

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, this is as far as my 6 yr old powerbook will go and I really don't want to put more money into it, when I know I might have to get a new one. What I really want is to just compress my photo's. Does anyone know a easy way to do it??
    I have all my pics back up on external hard drive. I can hear my second internal hard drive churn sometimes. I love this computer, but I think it might be on it's way out.
    Thanks for any help.:)