Help Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by --RAVIII, Jul 27, 2011.

1. --RAVIII macrumors newbie

I have a really quick question guys.

I have a Macbook Pro, I bought it a couple of months ago, it's the generation just before they released the i5/i7 models.

I have the two CD's from the box
    -Mac OS X Install DVD
    -Applications Install DVD

I was just wondering how do you reformat the Macbook Pro so it's right back to factory settings and what are those two CD's you get in the box?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. --RAVIII, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

--RAVIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I've never really written on forums before. But I have a question, I'm reading the article which is useful, I just got a question, the writer is talking about how you should first erase the hard drive then reformatting the computer, why not just reformat the computer? I'm not selling the computer or anything, I just want it to be a fresh new computer before I install OS X Lion. I've downloaded a bunch of junk I've realized that I don't need. I literally want the computer to be exactly how it was when I bought the computer.

Sorry for the stupid questions :p

Addition: What I really want to do is reformat my MBP so it's literally like I pulled it out of the box. Everything I've ever downloaded will be gone cause I've downloaded a bunch of random programs that are useless.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Read all the way through again, that's exactly what the article explains.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It may be better to get an app like CleanMyMac to uninstall apps you don't use anymore (and then some) than to do a clean install. I'm just saying, lost documents are a bitch to replace.

6. --RAVIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Cleanmymac is actually one of the programs I downloaded, some tech savvy guys I've talked to said those programs are useless on macs.

I just go by what I hear, maybe the guy's just kinda shrugged me off and didn't want to get into it

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to worry about lost documents if you have a backup, which everyone should have. App removal software doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Not just useless.... potentially harmful. Read the info above.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

No they were right, CleanMyMac and others leave stuff behind when they uninstall applications, just like if you hadn't used them. There's a post somewhere on here pertaining how to remove unwanted software completely.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

10. --RAVIII, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

--RAVIII thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually just backed up all the files I don't want to lose, I didn't have a lot besides music and a few documents. So do you think its necessary to first do the HD erase as the article instructed? If so, which one should I do, the only thing I don't like about the 7-Pass Erase is it takes a long time. If you don't think it's necessary should I just throw in the Mac OS X Install DVD then run the restore from there by holding down 'C' when I boot up the computer? Then install the Applications DVD?

Thanks for the help btw everyone

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A 7-pass erase is overkill. Everything is fully deleted in one pass. It wouldn't hurt to do a one-pass erase, just to clean up the disk before reinstalling.