Help please

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Raggs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Raggs macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie to Macs here..... Stupid question but i cannot work it out....

I have an external hard drive connected to my wireless router via usb. My pc laptop could see this and i could stream music and video from it..

My new MBA won't let me do this and keeps coming up with an error message - see screenshot below.

Sorry if this is really simple but i cannot work it out... :eek:

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Shrink, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry that I can't help you with you technical problem, but I would suggest the you will get more responses with a more informative title when you open a thread. Opening a thread with "help please" doesn't really tell much, and you will get more help with a more informative title.

Please don't take this as criticism, just a suggestion to someone new to the Forum.:)

WELCOME to the looney bin :D

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

What version of OSX?

How is the drive set up on the router? FTP server? SMB server? Something else?

4. Raggs thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a new MBA yesterday so it would be the latest version of Lion i assume.

The drive is plugged into the router through a USB connection into it. No FTP or SMB server set up ( i dont really know what that is).

All i know is that my windows laptop could see it through network devices.... i literally have it connected to the router through USB and it pops up on my windows laptop.

----------

Haha thanks! It is a learning curve i look forward to. Out with Windows!

Cheers for the advice, will ensure to pick a more useful title in the future!

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Your router must set up some kind of server to serve the files on the hard drive to you over the network. Chances are, if it just shows up in Windows, it's a SMB server.

OS X Lion 10.7.2 had some issues with SMB networking, which I read was supposedly fixed with 10.7.3. Someone else might be able to confirm that, as I personally don't use anything with SMB.

So my suggestion:
    Run Software Update and make sure you are on 10.7.3. You can check this in the apple menu (top left hand corner) > About This Mac.

If that does not work....

1. Open up finder
    2. In the top menu: Go > Connect to server
    3. Type in "SMB://o2" (or whatever the share name is)
    4. Pray

6. Raggs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, for looking into this.

I have new MBA and checked and i have lion 10.7.3.

I check the 02 forums and there seems to be an issue with my router and that 02 have not upgraded the firmware to be compatible with Lion. Perhaps this is the push i need to get a NAS drive.