Help please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CalCrickson, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CalCrickson macrumors newbie

So im getting really stressed out at the minute, Im new to MBP's And i have a mid 2010 model with 8gb Ram and a 2.4ghz Intel I5, It was being really slow so i tried to do a factory reset which didnt work i formatted my HDD then when i click on Reinstall Mac Os X Mavericks i get the error Could not find installation information for this machine, So i tried to do an internet restore the one were you click Command-Option-R But when i enter my passcode for my wifi the box moves side to side which im guessing means incorrect passcode even though it was right, have also tried to boot from usb with a mavericks installer on it but i just get a circle with a line through it, What can i do? and could someone tell me how i could make a bootable usb with Os X On it using a windows computer as that is all i have to use now?

2. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Are you near an Apple Store? If you are, the Geniuses have access to a diagnostic toolkit that can assess your Mac in about 10 minutes and if need be, they can reinstall the OS in another 10m if they have to. It's free, local service providers can do the same, http://locate.apple.com

3. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately im not near an apple store, is there no way i can create a bootable usb for Mac using windows?:(

4. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I've never attempted to do so under windows. If internet recovery isn't behaving, I'd give 1-800-275-2273 a call and have AppleCare go through some more troubleshooting steps. They have great tools to check your machine as well.

5. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah think ill give that a go, I Got plugged The Macbook into my router through ethernet to try Internet Recovery it had a picture of a browser and a loading bar underneath but once the loading bar filled up it just took me to the menu that has things such as, Reinstall os x, Disk utility etc not sure why everythings playing up on me

6. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about using Virtual Machine to run Mac Os x and then use disk utility to create a bootable usb for My Macbook, Would this work? and what Os X Should i put on the usb, Before all these issues the Mac was running Mavericks

7. CalCrickson thread starter macrumors newbie

So as of now, Im getting a Flashing folder? and when i hold down Cntrl+R Its just taking me straight to Internet Restore which doesnt work anyway, so im trying to do a Virtual machine to create a bootable usb

8. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I'm not sure a virtual machine of OSX would have the authoritative rights to properly partition and configure a bootable drive, it has to manipulate some pretty heavy permissions on the external disk. You'd probably want to try LionDiskMaker or something if it's possible. Not sure why Internet recovery is rejecting your wifi password, but if it has odd characters like $ & @ in it, maybe that's a problem for it.

9. Greg1fraser macrumors member

Thats the area you want to be in with disk utility so you can format the drive and then re install operating system that would be a factory reset.