help please

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nimytheis19, Apr 29, 2015.

1. nimytheis19 macrumors newbie

i have an imac g3 and im trying to install mac os 10.3.4 , but the disk is being spit out, i keep trying to make it work

2. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Is the media DVD or CD? Make sure your media is playable in your DVD or CD/RW drive. If the media is supported by your drive, it could be the drive needs to be cleaned or is malfunctioning. Can you play DVDs or CDs with the current OS ?

3. nimytheis19 thread starter macrumors newbie

on the imac its and imac PowerPC G3, with 384 mb of ram and has osx 10.1.3 on it and i think its a cd or dvd but sometimes if i put it in it does come up on the screen but when i try to install it it restarts and spits it out even if i hold down the c key

4. spf2, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Is your imac slot or tray loading? How many disks do you have for 10.3.4 ? You should get your model and see if there are firmware updates for your machine.

5. nimytheis19 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I don't recall ever seeing a DVD for 10.3-all that I've seen have been the three CD sets.

In any case, what you've described sounds like the classic symptoms of a dirty optical drive. I've had many where the CD/DVD would mount on the desktop, but the computer would not boot off the disk.

There are special optical drive cleaning disks. The ones I use are an audio CD with a small, very fine brush attached to the surface. The audio disk will play and will instruct you to forward to specific tracks at different points. Doing as it instructs will bring the brush over the laser lens and clean it off.

If your iMac has Firewire and you have another Mac capable of running 10.3, you can always also boot the iMac in target disk mode and then use your other Mac to run the 10.3 installer.

Also, I would very strongly encourage you to consider upgrading to 10.4 rather than 10.3. The big advantage of 10.4 is that there is a current, up to date web browser for it-TenFourFox. If your iMac does NOT have Firewire ports, you will need to use a free program called Xpostfacto to install 10.4.

7. nimytheis19 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok, i might see on getting them clean, but do i have to upgrade the system, like the ram?

----------

my imac does have a dvd/cd drive

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy