Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilyMarie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
Vancover
hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new computer, and I have decided I am getting my first Mac. I am a college student and need something that can handle a lot of tabs, office, email, photo editing, and other basic functions. I am torn between the 13in retina pro, and an upgraded 13in air. At times I probably have 35-40 tabs open, 5 or 6 word documents, and a video streaming or music playing. I am also not sure if 4,8, or 16gb of ram would be best. Being that this is my first Mac I am not sure what one will handle what I want it to do. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

(Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, if it was I couldn't find it)

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new computer, and I have decided I am getting my first Mac. I am a college student and need something that can handle a lot of tabs, office, email, photo editing, and other basic functions. I am torn between the 13in retina pro, and an upgraded 13in air. At times I probably have 35-40 tabs open, 5 or 6 word documents, and a video streaming or music playing. I am also not sure if 4,8, or 16gb of ram would be best. Being that this is my first Mac I am not sure what one will handle what I want it to do. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

(Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, if it was I couldn't find it)

Does your current computer handle that?? If so then I'd imagine a newer computer will do so fine as well.

The air or pro or even the retina MacBook will handle that fine with 8gb, it's not that intensive although photo editing covers a wide range of possible needs.

To be honest buy any of the and buy depending on the screen you want the retina makes a massive difference especially with text for school work or reading papers etc.

Reactions: EmilyMarie

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I assume that "tabs" means browser tabs. If that and the other tasks you've listed are all the stress you're going to put on a machine I think you'll be fine with any Mac in the lineup. Best advice I can give you is get at least 8 Gb of RAM in whatever you get.

Reactions: EmilyMarie

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I would go for the Retina from my experience.

I am a student and have the 13" rMBP, and I love it. I take the opportunity to also say that 8GB is the sweet spot, I decided to splash out on 16GB and have regretted since, as I never get anywhere near maxing 8GB out!

Also, the rMBP have more chunky CPUs, mobile not ultrabook processors like the MBAs? I think...? Perhaps someone might want to correct me on that one!

rMBP all the way!

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a 30" Cinema Display and I just got another 30" display arriving this week. All that for less than $1000.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a 30" Cinema Display and I just got another 30" display arriving this week. All that for less than $1000.

Probably not best for the OP's usage, though. I'd love to see you carting that around a campus. :D

"What a bargain over the Retina MacBook Pro!" you'd wheeze, red-faced and perspiring, as you desperately search for a power outlet.

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
Probably not best for the OP's usage, though. I'd love to see you carting that around a campus. :D

"What a bargain over the Retina MacBook Pro!" you'd wheeze, red-faced and perspiring, as you desperately search for a power outlet.
On the other hand, he could also toss in an iPad and just tote that around. I can't imagine that he needs all those tabs when he is in class (unless he's aiming for a short college career). I have a couple thousand books on my iPad, so his coursebooks would fit easily, and he gets the processing power when he needs in an old Mac Pro. Not to say that new and simple is probably the best course, but I am fond of my 3,1 and love the portability of my iPad.

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
On the other hand, he could also toss in an iPad and just tote that around. I can't imagine that he needs all those tabs when he is in class (unless he's aiming for a short college career). I have a couple thousand books on my iPad, so his coursebooks would fit easily, and he gets the processing power when he needs in an old Mac Pro. Not to say that new and simple is probably the best course, but I am fond of my 3,1 and love the portability of my iPad.

I hate iPads, useless. I had two, I gave away one. The one I have I am trying to get a used to it. I rather have my 15" MBP on my lap in bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.