Help please ;]

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Barberoo, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Barberoo macrumors newbie

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help. I bought an iphone off of ebay and wish to jailbreak/unlock it. I've plugged it into itunes in which it displays the 'No sim card' screen, i also cannot find out the firmware for the phone as i cant get on the springboard obviously.

So how can i find out the firmware and jailbreak it if i cannot get past the 'no sim card' screen on itunes?! im a bit confused here lol

Thanks

2. djjoja macrumors member

Go to Settings -->General-->About

Scroll down and let us know the 'Version' and Model and Modem Firmware.

3. Barberoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the thing, I cant cause i cant get onto the spring board. I've got the 'emergency calls only' screen and cant get past it due to the 'no sim card installed' screen on the phone and itunes

4. mreddys10 macrumors regular

You need to get a SIM that is compatible with the phone (the network to which the phone is locked into) in order to activate it and get into the springboard. No other option.

Did you try asking the seller what firmware it was on?

5. Barberoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is on o2, So if i get any o2 sim i'll get passed this step and then i can continue with unlocking a jailbreaking it?

Thanks for the help

6. djjoja macrumors member

yep u need to put in a sim which works on the phone - do you know on what network its locked?

7. mreddys10 macrumors regular

Yes. After inserting the SIM, activate through iTunes. Is it a 3G or a 3GS?

3G - 3.1.3 and lower firmwares are jailbreakable and only 5.11.07 baseband or lower are unlockable.

3GS - 3.1.2 and lower firmwares are jailbreakable and only 5.11.07 baseband or lower is unlockable.

8. djjoja macrumors member

I actually didnt activate mine..randomlly plugged it in like 2-3 times and it activated itself for some reason.

Anyhow, dont you know if its a 3G or 3GS?
    3GS will have a compass on the springboard, 3G wont.

9. Barberoo thread starter macrumors newbie

10. mreddys10 macrumors regular

When i bought my phone, i removed the sim before turning it on even once, and it went straight to the springboard, no activation needed. But it doesnt seem to happen that often. pretty random.