help plz difference between 2.0 core duo and 1.83 core 2 duo performance mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brandonnn, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Brandonnn macrumors member

Brandonnn

hi everyone

I need your help. I agreed to buy a mac mini below tomorrow:Apple Mac Mini, 2.0 GHZ, Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive. This computer was used gently in a non-smoking home as a TV, attached to an external monitor. Original box. London Drugs sells the identical computer for $850, plus tax, plus the RAM, so about $1064. $600 firm. He has updated to leopard and says it runs perfect. Though the warranty is month expired .

I just realized that it isn't the intel core 2 duo. Is it still a great deal or am i better off with the 1.83 intel core 2 duo with warranty. My question is there a huge difference in speed and performance between these two? I do not have warranty on the core duo i am buying tomorrow.

i only use the machine for basic stuff surfing utube music and very rarely gaming rare.

I really would be open to any advice you can give me?

my situation. I am moving for nov. 1 and need a computer. I been waiting for mini update but no luck still. i don't like the glossy and don't need portable so i wanted to get a mini used or older to hopefully tie me over till they hopefully update the mini. I don't know enough about the differences between the two performance wise?

Thank you!

Brandon

2. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Def go with the core 2 duo. I'd argue that the 1.83 would be unnoticeably faster than the CD 2.0. Plus it has the warranty, so you're in the good.

the core2 is 64 bit, so its going to be more future proof.

3. Brandonnn thread starter macrumors member

Brandonnn

little confused?

thanks Dvince for your advice. I tried looking for core duo 2.0 ghz. Is there a core duo 2.0? i only found searching a intel core 2 duo at 2.0GHZ??

Did the seller mean core 2 duo?

Vince iam using this as a temp computer till they update the mini hope by mac 09...

One more question is the internet speeds same if not wireless?

thank you

Bran

4. mgclayton macrumors member

The Core Duo models were 1.66 and 1.83GHz. The only 2.0GHz Mini is the Core 2 Duo:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/index-macmini.html

Can you ask the seller to confirm?

5. Brandonnn thread starter macrumors member

Brandonnn

called him and found out it is the core 2 duo. so i am really happy with the price:) especially with the ram upgrade.