Help, poor external display refresh rate on 2011 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdee2wheels, May 27, 2011.

1. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Hi,

I have a 2011 macbook pro 15 with the upgraded graphics card. I'm connecting it to an HP external 30" monitor with a mini display port to Dual link DVI adapter.

I'm getting pretty disappointing performance when it's hooked up the external display. Often when dragging windows around, it gets really choppy, like I'm using a really slow graphics card with a a poor refresh rate. Performance seems even worse with Windows 7.

Not sure what to do to fix the problem, but its a big issue for me since I was planning on using this computer mostly as a desktop replacement, and running Windows 7 and Solidworks (CAD) a good bit. Beginning to regret selling my 2006 mac pro which this is replacing :(

Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. iSavant macrumors regular

There are two "display cards" in your MacBook...

Integrated and Discreet. The discreet 6750 should have enough to run that screen well, but the integrated, not so much.

Try downloading the free gfxCardStatus

It will let you know which gfx card is in use and allow you to disable "automatic switching"

Might help to know and I suspect the integrated card (Intel 3000) is the culprit.

I hope that helps

3. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the response.

Unfortunately I believe when an external display is hooked up it automatically runs off the discrete card and in Windows I think it always runs off the discrete card even with no external monitor hooked up. Regardless I have gfx installed and set to discrete and it's still a bit choppy.

Perhaps it's the dual link adapter, I hear a lot of complaints about them. The last thing I want to do is buy a new monitor though.

4. iSavant macrumors regular

hrmm, good to know for when I finally go with an external display.

I hope you get it sorted and if you do, let us know

5. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

The issue is the connection, not the monitor and not the graphics card. I know this, because if I do the same out to my SHARP AQUOS, I see the same issue. I have to accelerate the display (it's a setting for some TVs and monitors) in order to compensate for a PC connection.

If your monitor has a setting for accelerating the display use it. Also, you might use HDMI if the monitor supports that, instead of DVI.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Problem with that is that he wouldn't be able to use the monitor's maximum resolution (assuming that it is 2560x1600, which I believe all 30-inchers are).

7. jdee2wheels thread starter macrumors member

Yeah even if that was an optional setting on the monitor I dont think I would want to loose the resolution.

No one runs the 30" cinema display with their MacBook pro? It's basically the same monitor as my HP and I don't see why it's not working well. unfortunately I'm past the return date on the computer otherwise I think I would have just sent it back :(

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm thinking the adapter might be at cause here. There is no reason whatsoever your MBP shouldn't be able to run that display flawlessly.

9. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Note - the HP and the Apple Cinema Display are two different beasts.

Not ideal - but if standard VGA gives you the same result, then I don't know what to tell you.