help Port forwarding in Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mpulsive81, May 14, 2007.

1. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I downloaded Transmission last night and i'm having a difficult time configuring it. My ports are stealth and Transmission has had a hard time forwarding a port. Here's the situation:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=203415 (my router)

I had the Mac firewall on and my belkin router's firewall on. I was under the impression that it would've been easy to setup with the auto config in Transmission. I even turned off the firewall on the Mac and router...still my ports show "port is stealth" Transmission is not able to successully port. At one point, I got it to forward port, but it still showed "port is stealth" which meant i couldn't reap the benefits of the forward port. I turned UPnP on my router, and i know that my router supports MIMO (whatever that is...) but I have no idea what to do...my download speeds are at 7-8 Kb/s.

Since i have no idea what i'm doing here, i was wondering what help you guys can provide. Let me know what info you need, and i'll gather whatever I can. I read something that said I HAVE to establish a static ip address, however tranmission's help didn't make mention of that....I guess what i'm looking for is a walk-through.

Thanks in advance!
    Eric

2. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so i've got the ports forwarded but my download speed is 10.1k....is this normal??

3. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok well i didn't understand all this, so i'm just going to delete the program.

4. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so i gave it one last shot....turned off airport and plugged DIRECTLY into my router. Nothing else is on my router now but my laptop and it maxes out at .9 k/s. Yes 9/10ths of a kb/s.

I don't understand why people are so excited about this program. It's the biggest headache ever! :(

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, when you use a different BT client, you get better d/l rates for the *same* torrent?

6. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never used a BT before, I just heard so much about Transmission here that I figured i'd try it out. It just confused the heck outta me. I know it's supposed to be supurb but maybe it's just great for those who know what the h3ll they're doing.

That really sucks cause I was really looking forward to seeing how great it was, like everyone says here. I mean, if i have ALL firewalls disabled and i have to manually forward the ports on a brand new Belkin router...i'd assume i'd be able to gather more than 10.1kb/s and WORSE .9kb/s when i'm connected directly into the router. That's a poor poor speed. Especially for a cable connection.

7. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

Firewalls, don't really have anything to do with your initial problem. What you needed is port redirection.

Port redirection is configured in your router. It tells the router what to do with incoming requests from outside of your network. If the router doesn't know, then those requests wont get to your computer.

The second thing you are talking about is speed. Speed on a torrent depends on several things. The more people connected to the torrent stream, the faster the downloads. If some of those people do not allow incoming requests (as in they have the port redirection configured) then the speed on the torrent stream goes down too.

Another characteristic that it has, is that sometimes it takes a while till more clients "see" you, and therefore send you more pieces of the files. So, it might take 5-10 mins (maybe less maybe more) for speed to go up on a torrent stream that that is healthy.

By healthy I mean, it has enough seeders (people that have the complete file and are just sharing) and leachers (people receiving the file and usually also sharing the little they have.

8. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is port forwarding the same as port redirection?

9. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

yes

10. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Try Lighthouse to automatically forward the ports (read the directions) - then grab a torrent file of Open Office (they have lots of seeds, and always max out my connection) from here to test.

11. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll redownload Transmission this afternoon when i get home and try that out.

12. Mpulsive81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so lighthouse didn't shed much light on the subject (i know that was cheesy) but i tried downloading what you said and i'm getting between 200-400kb/s so that answers my question. What the heck am i downloading though? :p

13. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

14. Winterfell macrumors regular

BitTorrent clients (Tranmission included) work with the BitTorrent protocol, which has two fundamental rules:

1) Download speeds are based on the number of people sharing a particular file and the availability of every part of that file. The more people that are sharing, the faster your download is going to be. However, if 200 people are sharing the same file, but a certain piece is missing from all 200 people, then you're not going to get fast speeds if that piece is the only part you're missing as well.

2) The other rule is that you must give in order to receive. You cannot just hop on and download to your heart's content. This is why it will sometimes take 10-20 minutes to see any reasonable download rate, becuase if you have to get a few pieces and then share them, which will in turn allow you to download more.

BitTorrent is typically not for a quick download. What it is good for is downloading (typically high-quality "downloads" i.e. not bogus software) over a given period of time, say a few hours to a few days.

15. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

Well.. you can't say that it's typically not for a quick download. One of the reasons to let everyone share, is so that everyone receives lots of packages from different torrent clients and therefore download faster. The problem is that it relies on other people sharing.. and unfortunately many people do not like to share.
    When torrents are used legally on popular downloads (or where people like to share) the downloads are so damn fast is not funny. Just try open office, ubuntu or knoppix and you'll see what i mean.