Help!! Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by lisapixiegirl, Apr 12, 2014.

1. lisapixiegirl macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone - I haven't been on here in awhile but I have a problem. My power cord to my MacBook Air split right about where the metal head snaps into the notebook magnetically, and now it's not working anymore.

I was wondering if any of you know the answer to this. I still have that really thick power cord that plugs into the wall one one end and on the other end plugs into the brick which is attached to the cord that is broken.

I am just looking for the that cord only - the one that has the magnetic head on one end to connect to the notebook and the brick on the other. I keep finding is the entire thing which is $79.

2. skinny*k, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014

skinny*k macrumors regular

Lisa, I’m afraid that the options to buying a new power adapter are pretty slim, and not very good. The problem is that Apple has the patent on the MagSafe plug, and won’t allow 3rd parties to make them, and Apple only sells the adapter as a complete package.

There are pirate versions of the adapter, available at lower cost, but they are usually not very well made—some have even caused damage to the laptops—and none of them work the same way as Apple’s; the LED is always ON when the adpter is plugged in, and it doesn’t change color to let you know when its charging or charged.

You might find a used or dead power adapter to swap cables with, but it would require some soldering skill to do, and you’ll have to be wary of getting a pirated version.

Your best bet would be to take it to an Apple store and beg for a replacement, and, failing that, go ahead and buy a new one. Whatever solution you end up with, be very careful with your new cable.

Good luck.

3. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

got an older mac? the magsafe2 adapter is about $5-$10

barring that or a used one, as the other poster said, you're probably best off buying a new one.