Help! Power Mac G5 freezes - sent in once already

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eazyc10, May 31, 2007.

1. eazyc10 macrumors member

I've been having problems with my Power Mac G5 crashing. The first time it would crash at random, with the fans kicking into high gear the red LED coming on. Apple support had me do an archive an install, no help and then a clean install which didn't help either. I took it into the shop and they replaced the logic board, and tested it.

I got the machine back today and after about 2 hours of usage it crashed again, but this time I got a weird screen that scrolled across the screen.

I have attached a screenshot and video of the issue:

[​IMG]
    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/eazyc10/?action=view&current=MOV02827.flv

2. Queso macrumors G4

Looks like bad RAM to me. Do you have third-party memory or is it Apple supplied?

3. eazyc10 thread starter macrumors member

3rd party, however the dealer even tested the ram and said everything checked out. I will try removing the ram and see what happens.

4. Queso macrumors G4

It's a good plan. At worst, you can rule the RAM out as the cause if the Mac still KPs, at best you've found the culprit.

5. eazyc10 thread starter macrumors member

Tried it without the 3rd party memory and it did the same thing. I'm taking it back into the store to see what they can do.

6. Tommytann macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my G5. What did they find out?

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, people at the "genius bars" and the Apple store generally don't know ****.

I can't actually see the picture, because your photobucket is set to private.

Try reseating all the cards... video, RAM, PCI if you have any, etc.

It just kind of sounds like it's overheating to me to be honest. Are the heatsinks still secure over the CPU/s? If not that might be your problem.

Though if you just got a new error different from before, the geniuses at Apple might have caused you more issues.