Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wulfbourne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Ok, I'm having some major problems with my Macbook pro. First, since I first got it my macbook has eaten through 4 magsafe adapters, no matter how nice I try to treat them. My husband, who got his at the same time, is still on his first. My latest one just bit the dirt today, and I'm using my husbands adapter to get online long enough to write this. Even with his adapter, the battery is no longer even charging. The icon shows it as charging, but it says it will take 10 hours and it has not increased in power since I plugged it in. The computer is currently at 0% charged. I have no idea what could be going on or how to even try to fix it. I'm afraid to just buy another adapter for fear it will break again, and I don't want to ruin my husbands adapter either. Please help! My computer is no longer under warranty and I'm afraid to bring it in for diagnosis for fear of the cost, depending on the problem.

wulfbourne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
You'd rather keep paying for power adapters?

I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of what is wrong with it so I can come up with a general idea how much it will cost to bring it in for repair. If it's going to cost too much I might as well just get a new laptop at this point.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
It seems odd that your macbook would break the magsafe. Sort of it overworking or overheating from constantly charging, I really can't think of a way for that to happen. Have you been plugging all of the adapters into the same outlet? Perhaps the problem lies there?

wulfbourne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
It seems odd that your macbook would break the magsafe. Sort of it overworking or overheating from constantly charging, I really can't think of a way for that to happen. Have you been plugging all of the adapters into the same outlet? Perhaps the problem lies there?

There are 3 main outlets in various points around the house that I tend to use. It could be one of them I suppose. I don't think it's an overworking/overheating problem as it is typically plugged in so it shouldn't need to be doing that much charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.