Help power supply died

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PurplePUnkGurl, Apr 2, 2014.

1. PurplePUnkGurl macrumors newbie

:mad: My power supply died.
    :D I think I found a replacement!

Here is my question. The output specs on my dead power supply and on the new cheap replacement are identical. Here they are:
    Output:
    +5V —— 20A
    +3.3V —— 24A
    +5VSB —— 2.25A
    +12V —— 8A
    -12V —— 0.25A

However, The INPUT spec on the replacement says:
    120V — 9A
    BUT...:eek:... my dead power supply's spec says:
    120V — 10A

Okay so I'm dumb. I don't know if that matters at all that the new replacement power supply only says 9 amps. Is that a good thing (e.g. it only needs 9 amps to make whatever happen that my dead power supply needed 10 amps for?) Or is it a bad thing, like, uh-oh, 9 is less than 10, so I'm going to burn something out. Will it overheat my computer? How about my wall outlet?

I am sorry this is such a dumb question. I just don't understand power supply fundamentals. I did read somewhere that the output volts and amps must match exactly. I just don't know if it is bad that the new replacement only says 9A when my dead power supply says 10 amps. :rolleyes:

Please help? Thank you.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^This. It means that the replacement provides one less amp of power. That may or may not be a bad thing, but it does mean that the replacement is one amp less powerful.

If you have the part number on your old PSU, I'd do an eBay search for that and get the exact part rather than trying to make this work.