Help, Power to external HDD quite

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kotnirid, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Kotnirid macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Intel tower, running OS 10.5.8. I have an external Hard Drive, an ACOMDATA 2T. Model # DHD2000UFAB-72. I was working on my machine today with it plugged in and running as usual. I got a dialog box that popped up that said "device removal" (the one that pops up when an external drive is not properly ejected). I looked down to see if any of the cords had come loose but NO. It was still plugged in, still in the "ON" power position but no power. I checked the outlet but it is fine. It just lost power. It won't turn on at all. It is 13 months old.

I took it out of the casing to see if any wires had come loose but everything looked ok.

Any suggestions? I need to get this thing up and running asap. I have a mirror at home but I need what I worked on today that is only saved on this drive so far.

Thank you in advance!
    Kotni

2. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

Sounds like its toast.
    Have you tried using a disc recovery program like Disk Warrior? I had a EHD that wouldn't mount, but I was able to recover everything and restore it with DW.
    If that's not an option, try taking the hard drive out and putting into a different External Case.

3. Kotnirid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I hope it's not toast. It was too expensive and too new to be toast! Lol. I am thinking about taking it out of the case and putting it in my other external case as a last resort. I am a little weary of doing that by myself. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it!

4. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

If its still under warranty don't go tinkering - you'll probably void the warranty.
    If its plugged in and turned to ON but the drive doesn't make any noise or vibration (ie. spinning) then its certainly a hardrive problem and you'll probs have to change the case, but if it makes any noise or vibration then you've got a fairly good chance of recovering it using a 3rd Party program like Disk Warrior.
    Good Luck!

5. Kotnirid thread starter macrumors newbie

No Power what-so-ever. It was as if it blew a circuit or something. I've already voided the warranty by opening it. Do you think the motor just died on the actual hardware? I've had HD before that would turn on but not mount but never the other way around.

Thank you for your help!

6. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

It certainly sounds like a hardware issue, but I can't tell what exactly - I don't know Hard Drives well enough to say.

7. Kotnirid thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem Solved

Whew! I took it to MicroCenter to see if they could help and they tested it and luckily it was just the AC power adapter had died. The drive itself was fine! Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!

8. KevKaos macrumors 6502

TUCK!!!!! ZIIIIIIIIIING.

Dodged a bullet there matey.

:D:D:D