Help powering up MBP to install USB Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlarmGuy13, Nov 28, 2016.

1. AlarmGuy13 macrumors newbie

Good afternoon all,

I recently had an issue where several buttons on my MB keyboard stopped working. I took it in and the Genius bar did not find water damage and could not figure out truly what was wrong. I will upload an image later that shows what appears to be some type of thermal issue but for now, I need to know how to power my MacBook Pro up so that I can install a USB keyboard so I can access my computer and back it up.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

2. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I've used my Mac's with Apple's, and third party, keyboards in the past which are wired. There is not setup required. Just plug in the USB and it should recognize it and work. Not sure what you are looking for here? Installing a keyboard?????? Is one of the non-functional keys the power button????

3. AlarmGuy13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a third party wired USB keyboard and when I power up my MBP and try typing my password to log-in, it is not recognizing it. My issue is being able to type my password in.

4. kwandrews macrumors 6502

Here's what I suggest. Head to the Apple Store, Simply Mac, Best Buy, etc. and buy this Apple USB keyboard. After, if you don't need it, return it. I personally like them a lot.

EDIT: Better yet...if you have an Apple Store nearby, just take it in and ask if they have one you can use for this purpose and offload the data you need right in the store (if you have a bus powered USB drive with the capacity needed).

5. AlarmGuy13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hooked it up AFTER powering up this time and it's working fine. Thanks for the tips.