HELP!! Powermac G5 trouble diagnosing problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BenMacUK, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BenMacUK macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My powermac g5 was running fine last night then booted it up this morning and NOTHING.

I'm having trouble diagnosing the problem and any advice would be great.

At the momment when you press the on button the computer sounds like it is starting up but the screen doesnt switch on at all.....I have tried it on 2 monitors with different cables and then tried the monitor with my other computer and they seem to be fine....

Does that mean it could be the graphics card issue?

Also the computer is not making the usual apple BONG sound when booting...

any ideas on how I can work out what is wrong with the system would be great as i'm not quite sure how to start

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Currently I'm too drunk for a good answer, but;

sounds like my Mac when the cheap Realtek rtl8187 drivers cause a kernel panic in which in computer can shut down to a state where the screen turns off and everything appears to be off - only I can still hear the fans, and I have to either hold down the power button or cut power; then when I reboot it turns out to be a kernel panic caused by the rtl8187 driver kernel extension.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

4. BenMacUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Hi thanks for the reply yes all system fans are spinning as normal when the system would boot up

5. Razzerman II macrumors member

I would try reseating the graphics card. I have two g5's and a similar problem to yours. Swapped the graphics cards over now they are both fine.

Cheers,

Ray

6. BenMacUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Cheers Ray will give it a go when back home.....Not meaning to sound like an idiot but how would you reset the graphics card is it a simple case of just removing it and reinserting or is there a key sequence etc on startup?

7. Razzerman II macrumors member

No probs. Yeah, just take it out and make sure it's put firmly back in. Get rid of any dust if you can too.

So just reseat, not reset! ;)

Ray

8. BenMacUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Re

Lol thanks Ray will give it a go later on fingers crossed this will sort it was hoping the system would soldier on another few years