help preparing a proper anti-static space before opening MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamrawr, Jul 16, 2010.

1. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

my first time swapping an internal computer component btw. and i'm planning to install my new momentus xt in it. i have read online on how to effectively ground myself, using anti static wrist bands, etc. but they all point to building a desktop computer.

is there a peice of metal where the wrist band wires can attach to in the macbook pro? would doing the procedure on cardboard or floor tiles work? would i still need to ground myself still?

2. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

Honestly? I think you're making this too much of a process.It's a 5 minute job to replace a HD now.touch your finger on the metal leg of your desk or chair first if you're really worried about it.
    I've never ground myself before and I've been told I'm a veritable livewire!

3. starfall87 macrumors newbie

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill. If you want to take some basic precautions, do not work on something that can create static, such as carpet or a towel. For extra protection, use an electrostatic strap thingy attached to a ground, such as the metal plumbing under a sink. Honestly, I would be more worried about dirt on your hands than electrostatic discharge when changing a disk.

4. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You're putting way to much into this, just pop it open and uninstall/install the stuff.

5. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

just don't do it on a carpet and you're going to be fine!