Help! Printer Suggestions for a Performa 6400?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacPerforma, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MacPerforma macrumors member

Yes, yes, I know...why would anyone in their right mind still be using a Performa 6400? :) Well, I've had my Performa 6400 for over 12 years, and while it hasn't been my primary PC for many, many years now, I still keep it around to run an application from work that requires OS 7.x.

Anyway, I have a Color StyleWriter 2500 printer that I originally purchased with the computer, and surprisingly, it has held up just fine for the last 12 - 13 years. Unfortunately, it took a turn for the worse a couple of weeks ago, so I'm in the market for some variety of replacement. As the Performa has only Apple's serial 8-pin printer connector and no USB connectivity, I'm guessing that my options are pretty limited. That said, does anyone know where I could find a list of all the printers, both from Apple and from other manufacturers, that had an Apple printer port? I'm afraid that eBay is the only option at this point, as these types of printers haven't been manufactured for years. Unfortunately, there isn't that big of a selection of Color StyleWriters on eBay, and so I'd be willing to settle for a printer from another manufacturer - if only I knew which printers were available with Apple ports back in the day.

Unless there's some type of Apple printer port to USB adapter out there, I think this is my only option. That said, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

I just googled that and a bunch of listings came up. Looks like an adapter would cost you about $10.

3. MacPerforma thread starter macrumors member

I ran a similar search, but all I could find were serial to USB adapters, not the other way around. I would need something that would convert a USB connector to an 8-pin Apple printer port. Plus, there's the issue of whether or not the USB printers even have Apple drivers. I guess that in and of itself would be a big problem as well.