HELP! problem with Java & 32 bit machines

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobcubsfan, Jul 15, 2008.

1. bobcubsfan macrumors newbie

Running 10.5.3 on 32 bit imac and a mac mini. On line games, etc that use java do not run. Tried Firefox, Safari, and Explorer to no avail. Java will not install latest as my machines are not 64 bit. Fixed permissions, zapped PRAM, check run in Rosetta, unchecked run in Rosetta, checked Java 5 in Java preferences, checked Java 1.whatever in Java preferences. Did an archive and install from CD. What am I missing other than having to buy new machines??

Looking forward to a solution. Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Link?

3. bobcubsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

iwon.com has trouble with the Java base games. They do not work and I get a message saying Java needs to be installed but the Java folder, prefs etc are in the library on the hard drive.

4. bobcubsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

The test link you sent me to is not for Macintosh
    "How do I test whether Java is working on my computer?

This article applies to:

* Platform(s):
    Solaris SPARC, Solaris x86, Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (SP4+), Windows XP (SP1 SP2), Windows 2003, Vista, JDS
    * Browser(s):
    Internet Explorer 5.5, Internet Explorer 6.x, Internet Explorer 7.x, Netscape 4.7x, Netscape 6.2x, Netscape 7, Mozilla 1.4+, Firefox
    * JRE version(s):
    1.4.2_xx, 1.5.0, 6.0

Test your JVM"

Any other ideas?

5. bobcubsfan thread starter macrumors newbie

Java Vendor: Apple Inc.
    Vendor URL: http://www.apple.com
    Java Version: 1/5/0_13
    OS Name: Mac OS X
    OS Architecture: i386
    OS Version: 10.5.4
    Java Class Version : 49.0
    File Separator: /
    Line Separator:
    Path Separator: :

Since I have a 32 bit machine and Java 6 does not support 32 bit machines I really have no choice. Everytime I try to update the Java to Java 6 I get a message saying that it is a 32 bit machine and cannot update. Cancel is my only option in that window. Tried selecting Java 5, which is a selection option in the system preferences but there was no difference in how everything behaves. My machine is less than 2 years old and the mini is less than a that.