Help, problem with new iMac 24" 2.8

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by honeyshape, Nov 16, 2007.

1. honeyshape macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Could someone please help me?

I have just bought a new iMac 24" 2.8. It had a drop in leopard DVD so I have up dated. Set up time machine, set up mail, tranfered all contacts, photos, music, doc etc, and have installed logic 8.

I did a software update and it asked me to restart my computer so i did.

the computer just hung (it just showed the wall paper, you could move the mouse but couldn't do anyting else so I turned it off by holding down the power button.

When i turned the computer on it went into setup assistant. I went through the setup again and then it went back to the first page of the setup. I had to power down again.

Now when i boot, finder show setup assistant in the menu bar but you cant do anything! So i power down again (press and hold the button). and it boots back up to setup assistant again but will not respond to anything.

Any ideas?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It sounds something like the "Bad Leopard upgrades" some people have been having. Question: Did you install Leopard as an Upgrade install, or did you use "Archive and install"? If the former, that has been the source of a lot of funkyness.

Either way, though, your best bet may be to reinstall Leopard, this time being sure to do an Archive and Install (preserving users), which will give you a pretty clean copy of Leopard but with all your data intact. Then install the updater and hope for the best.

Oh, and I should ask: Do you have any 3rd party hacks installed (or did you before upgrading)? If so, that could also cause all manner of issues if they're not Leopard-safe.

3. honeyshape thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have any hacks.

It a brand new imac that i picked up on 2 days ago. It had tiger but a leopard disc for upgrade.

I did the 'C' key and boot with the leopard disk thing before i ready your post choose Upgrade Mac OS X.

Same problem - it boots into setup and after setup it returnes to the first setup page again and keeps looping - a bit like ground hog day but not funny!

I will now reinstall using archive and install.

Stay tuned and thanks

4. honeyshape thread starter macrumors newbie

Did the reinstall - now downloading updates - it seems good so far.

Thanks sunbaked - i did a search on this but didn't look hard enough. This is my problem exactly - it it happens after updates, i know what to do.

Thanks guys